Which Pre/Pro regardless of $$$

The more I read about, or shop for a Preamp/Processor, the longer the list is getting. I currently have
* Sony TA-E9000ES
* Parasound amps (220W x 5)
and want to upgrade the whole system:
I've started with speakers...

*** (1st part of upgrade) JM LAB 936 Electra Speakers w/matching center(c901) and surrounds (906).
Now I need my pre/pro.
Want to achieve a system that will shine for both Movies and Music.
However, since I already have a dedicated 2ch system; if I had to choose music vs. movie performance in this system, I would give the nod "slightly" towards movie performance .

On my list (so far)....
* Bryston SP1.7
* EAD TM 8000 (is their a sound benefit w/ the PRO version ?? will the new 8800 be worth wait/$$ ??)
* Krell HTS 7.1 (does this model still "pop" when locking onto a digital source ?, does it still miss the first few seconds of sound from cd/dvd while locking onto digital source? I ask only because the older HTS models had this problem)
* Tag Mclaren AV32R bp-192
* Lexicon MC-8B

I've already auditioned Sunfire, Anthem, and Aragon; and am working on the above. I would like (and appreciate)feedback and/or recommendations on any of the Pre/Pro's listed above.

I would like
* Analog pass-thru for SACD/DVD-A
* Bass Management (for the SACD/DVD-A as well; if possible)
* DPLII, DTS,DD, etc.., etc..
* The ability to listen to stereo sources with the Front L/R main speakers set to Large and still be able to use (or not use) the sub when I want.
**** MOST IMPORTANT - Excellent SOUND !!!!

THANKS IN ADVANCE !!!
Paul
capnizzy
This discussion made me wonder, so I went and checked. The Classe SSP75 and SSP60 are basically two channel preamps built into the same box as an AV pre/pro. All of the 2-channel inputs (including the balanced 2-ch input), as well as the 5.1 bypass, go straight through and are affected by only the volume control. There are no A/D - D/A conversions in those paths. The digital inputs, of course, go through the whole circuit.
I recently had the pleasure of auditioning both the Krell HTS 7.1 and EAD TM8000Pro in my home. All I can say is "WOWZA" these are both terrific pre/pro's. However, I do believe they are different in many ways... which in the end is purely individual taste. Both are quality built with excellent sound. I found the EAD to be a bit smoother, and a tad less detailed than the Krell. Set-up is MUCH easier with the EAD because of the calibration mic. However, if you need to alter the sound in anyway, the Krell wins because of the EQ. Again, the Krell is fantastically detailed, huge soundstage, great imaging. The Krell has balanced outs for all channels where as the EAD only has balanced outs for the Front L&R channels. The Krell can be operated a bit easier from the front panel / The EAD is very limited in this category. If ergonomics/features are of no concern, the EAD is a warmer sounding, more forgiving of bad material type processor. The Krell is detailed, detailed, detailed. In no way harsh, but very revealing of source material. My choice in the end depended on the speakers I have.
With my Dynaudio Contour 3.3's I liked the Krell more.
With my JMLab Electra 936's (extremely detailed) I prefered the EAD.
Since I have a full 5.1 JMLab setup, I will try and purchase the EAD 8000Pro (I may wait to see what the new 8800 has to offer as well).
I have already purchased the Krell HTS7.1 and now have it up for sale. If nobody buys it... well, I will still be VERY happy with the Krell HTS7.1 as I do like all the details, features, and I can play with the EQ to get my desired sound. Like I said in the beginning, these are both AWESOME pre/pro's and anyone looking in this price range should keep these on their short list and should be VERY happy no matter what their choice is.
I have listened to Anthem, Sunfire, Parasound, Audio Refinement (awesome at it's price point) and found all of them to be very good BUT the Krell HTS 7.1 and EAD are in a whole other leauge. They did both music & movies with excellent results! I really think that everyone except for the extreme audiophile would find the Krell and EAD a one pre/pro solution for Music & Movies.

NOTE: The Krell $3K incentive for the HTS7.1 is no longer in affect, so I'm not sure how the EAD and Krell match up in regards to price.
That was a great review. I really need to give the EAD stuff a listen. Thanks Cap.