Which of your component purchases was "magical"?

Or better -- "What component purchase had you digging out all of your favorite recordings, late into the night, just to relish in a new level of reproduction?"

We have all heard, read & sometimes experienced this occasional audio "revelation" from time to time. My question is which rare component/purchase did this for you?

(BTW - one of my earliest and most memorable was the first time I heard my Well Tempered TurnTable, after coming off a mid-fi table, some years ago...;>)
denf

Showing 1 response by james1969

The Audio Research CD-3 mk1 was my first high end cdp. Wow, that was quite a treat. How ever, the 47 Labs Flatfish/Progression/Dumpty was in another world for me. More body, more fullness to the sound, and separation. The ARC had the base and what I thought was fullness, but the 47 Labs was a quite a step up.

Going from a standard 47 Labs Flatfish/Progression/Dumpty to swapping out the Dumpty power supply for a DC power battry supply made by Pure Power (Brian Charney). This was an eye opener as to smooth and refinded sound. AC power is terrible at least in the digital front end (47) I was hearing - which was a step up from the ARC.

The DC battry power supply introduced me into smooth refined sound.

But the largest step up was when I moved into vinyl. I'm using a modest cartridge (Denon DL-103) cartrdige and it's only starting to burn in. Digital doesn't hold a candle. However, I do have a good reference point, as the Zanden DAC is another world above the DC power for the Flatfish/Progression.

Yes, I'm a convert to vinyl now. Nothing new to most, but it's a new addition to my home stereo. I'm a little late to the game...but I'm here now...