Which NOS tubes on my ASL 1009 for more warmth?

I'm lookin to replace the stock el34 and 12au7 tubes on my ASL 1009's. I want some version of the old Mullard el34, not sure how far to go with these...and the 12au7's I have no idea what to use here. My system is Wadia 302 direct to the amps (and that is probably why I'm lookin for more warm sound) and Guarneri Homage speakers, TG audio ic and speaker cables. TIA.
jman

Showing 3 responses by lapierre

Mullard are very warm, low noise, and detail. Make sure you get a matched pair.

What is your budget? The EL's are at least $100 per tube or while the 12type are $100 to $499 per matched per.

Mullard ECC82/12AU7
Mullard ECC82/12AU7/CV4003
BLACK SABLE SED™ EL34
EL34 Mullard XF1 - Big Brown

While your under the hood change those fuses (HiFi Tuning) for additional clarity for the ASL 1009's.

Just retubed (McIntosh amp/preamp with Mullards) using different 12types. Very smooth all over top and bottom with a live like feel on some recordings.

Spin the Yellowjackets after you retube.
Pierre
Glory I have both Isoclean and HiFi Tunning fuses.

The Isoclean fuses are in my McIntosh amps (yes it made a difference.) The HiFi tuning fuses are in my Emm Labs CDP and preamp. I could not find the exact replacement fuse for my preamp 1.24 in Isoclean so I had to use HiFi.
Most of your sonic improvements should be with the 12AU7s. You can purchase Mullard EL34/6BQ5 New Production for $25 (matched pair)and save $350. Evaluate your system as Newbee suggested and determine the 12AU7 that best match your system. Plus, you have a lot more 12AU7s to choose from to refine sonic characteristics of your system.