Which magnepan

It’s been a while since I have had a pair of  magnepans and wondering which pair to get.

room size is 18 w x 21 L , 8 ft flat ceilings.  This room used to be the master bedroom and still could be, but right now it’s the stereo room.       I did try the 3.6rs in there and they are to big for the room as they didn’t image right.   Before I had those, I had a pair of 2.6qr’s and they were in a different room and really enjoyed
those speakers....and sold them as I took a break for a bit.
do I get a pair of the new MMGi and add a sub ( svs ), or do the get the 1.7 ?

Or are there other ideas for speaker ideas for around $1k to $1500 that image well and have good sound stage?
addyson815

Showing 1 response by toolbox149

"for the short time that I had the 3.6r's in the room, the drummer sounded as if he were up by the ceiling and I had them a few feet from the back wall and about a 1 - 1.5 from the side walls.     think I was sitting 7-9 ft away ( + - )."

Even if your speakers were along the shorter (18') wall, my quick computations tell me your speakers are about 13 feet apart, and you're only sitting 7-9 ft away. I have a difficult time thinking your imaging, soundstage, and/or focus could be very good whether you have 3 series or 1 series Maggies.
Although I have only owned 1 series Maggies (five different models), I think I can safely assume, "A Maggie is a Maggie".  The 1.7i models will have a simular sound as the 3.6 model you didn't enjoy.  You might want to re-think you room layout and acoustics before plunking down your hard earned cash.
Just my 2 cents worth. 🎻