Which is warmer sounding Counerpoint SA12 or SA100

I was going to try a used Counterpoint Amp to
see if I like the sound. I have a Classe CA100
right now but I'm looking for a more liquid sound.

Which one is warmer sounding: The SA12 or SA100.

I know the SA100 was an update from the older SA12
but sometimes amps loose their sweetness when they
get redone with a larger output.

Thanks
Tom
eastside_guy

Showing 1 response by phild

I had a Counterpoint SA100 (now completely upgraded and rebuilt by Mike Elliott) and I didn't find the mids to be too forward or etched. In fact, I preferred it to everything I compared it to...an old Luxman amp, a Bel Canto SETi40, an Aleph 3, and a 47labs GainCard (all made with a Pass Aleph P, Merlin VSM-SE's and Cardas Golden Cross cables). Of course sound is subjective, and I have never tried it on cheaper equipment.

I would follow Albert's advice and ask Mike about the two units. There is one disadvantage with both...they both have mosfets that can go bad. Mine were fine, but some people do have problems. If they do go, they might be a little pricey to fix (so don't pay too much for the used amp). I'm sure Mike can tell you all about that too.

Besides all of the above...the SA amps are hybrid designs with four tubes. There is a good degree of tweaking that can be done by changing tubes. I went from the originals to Tesla's to Mullards and there was a pretty significant difference. They really are a great amp for the money if you can find one in good shape, for a good price.