Which is better,AV pre/pro o direct analog out?

I'm going to go over this, by starting with the following default (likely, I think most would accept my suggested position on these points(?)): When considering processing of multi-channel Dolby Digital HD and DTS Master audio for digital movie sources, you're highly likely to get more neutral clear sound, and the least sonic "coloration" by using the analog out's (yes, I recommend quality cables/connections to make the best of quality associated gear, which makes a difference) of, say, an Oppo Bluray player - direct to your power amp's. Conversely, you're probabaly more likely to get a bit better dynamics and perhaps a stronger sounding presentation (likely with more presence to the sound, too??), as well s convenience of switching capabilities, while using an outboard AV processor - connected HDMI (thus using the internal processing of the AV pro) in between source and amps instead.
So, basically, is it safe to say that, if saving the cost of an outboard processor and getting the most uncolored "audiophile like" transparent sounding presentation from your system is most important to you, you probably get an Oppo player, and sans the processor/switcher. Conversely, if you want best switching, EQ'ing ability, flexibility, and likely better gain/buffering?? - or likely somewhat stronger preamplification of the source signal between amplifier (the more traditional AV route)- then you buy an pre/pro or AV receiver for your AV/movie needs.
What am I missing, or do you agree/disagree??
Any comments?
avgoround

Showing 1 response by zd542

It sounds like a good idea. I don't know if it will be the right way to do it for everyone, but its worth consideration.