which floor speaker up to 1500.00

im all ears..soundstage and imaging are most important..buying new only. Music..dance/pop/jazz/classical
nyaudio98

Showing 3 responses by zd542

I've owned the 1C's myself and that would be my first choice, as well, given your price range. The only thing I will add is that they are very easy speakers to drive. I don't find Vandersteen's difficult to drive myself, but starting with the 2, they do like a little power. The 1's are different. Just about anything should work. Its a quality that sometimes people overlook.
Vapor1,

"The 1C isn't exactly a great example of quality components and contruction in a floorstander for under $2k. Retail price for all the drivers and crossover components used would be under $200, and the cabinet certainly isn't resonance free. The point I made in the first post is still totally valid."

With regard to that statement, I don't know how you would know how all those separate components used would add up to somewhere under $200. Maybe you're right; if you could even find them all used. What I really want to know is how you go about judging the resonance of the cabinet? Did you measure it? Did you compare it to other cabinets? What was the process?

I'll be completely honest with you. I question how accurate your info is. I've no problem at all with your opinion, and if it differs from mine. Reading your posts, though, it looks like you are going beyond opinion and are getting into fact territory. That's just how I see it. If I'm wrong, or just not reading your post as you intended, I apologize.

To the OP,

Rlwainwright offers an excellent piece of advice. He states: "Remember, quality speakers have a lifespan of decades, buying something 2-3 years old is the smart thing to do..." I couldn't agree more. (Not so much with the part about buying used. That's up to you. Its a personal choice.) If you take the time now, and be sure you like whatever speakers you end up with, you may not have to go through this process again for a while (hopefully). Its not the easy way to do it, but you're the one that has to listen to them, not us.
Vapor1,

Your last post does put your other comments in much better context. In all fairness, I don't think anyone could put all that together without you telling us. That's why when I first read it I thought it was a bunch of BS from someone who gets their listening experience from reading magazine reviews.

That said, I still stand by my recommendation of the Model 1's. To be clear, I'm basing my comments only on my own listening experience, but nothing else. I've compared them to several other speakers around the same price and always preferred them. That doesn't mean everyone will like them, but definitely worth a listen.