which floor speaker up to 1500.00

im all ears..soundstage and imaging are most important..buying new only. Music..dance/pop/jazz/classical
nyaudio98

Showing 1 response by roscoeiii

I don't think Vapor1 is saying anything controversial here. Monitors' strengths are generally their imaging, and a stiff cabinet lacking in resonances is more easily found at this price point for a new speaker in monitors, not floorstanders.

IME, monitors image like a dream and can give a great soundstage. That is a challenge for floorstanders for the reasons Vapor1 added, and since you will get closer to a point source sound from monitors (and will get point source if you go with a coax design).

For new floorstanders, I think Tekton Lores are in your budget range. They get rave reviews from some corners of this forum. But I'd guess that they may be a bit forward (like many speakers of similar designs I have heard). Check the Lore threads to see about soundstage and imaging (though take some of the "giant killer" fanboys with a grain of salt).

As for what you didn't ask about: Used, I'd say look for a pair of Von Schewiekert floorstanders. New, aside from floorstanders, I'd look hard at the KEF LS50s. Or for stoopid cheap monitors, I was really impressed by the Pioneer SP-BS22-LR monitors designed by Andrew Jones (at least get a pair for a garage, kitchen, bedroom system folks).