Which dac or other suggestions

First time poster here. I am looking for advice to increase the sound quality of my existing system. I have a Marantz SR7009 being used as a pre-amp powered by Emotiva's XPA-5, 2 revel m22 bookshelf speakers serving as my L & R, revel c52 center speakers and 2 revel timber matched C563 in ceiling rear surrounds. I mainly listen to music and switch between L &R stereo only and sometimes "all stereo" or matrix through all speakers. We do watch movies but seem happy with our home theater experience thus far although always open to suggestions. We mostly listen to music through a Sonos connect but we also do have an Orbit turntable. I know that the turntable will one day need to be upgraded to maybe a Rega RP3 or similar. I am in the process of adding two SVS SB12-nsd subs to the mix. Our room is large at 20x30x10 and I hope these subs will make some sort of impact. We also use an Apple TV. Now for my question.

I am looking to increase the sound quality of my Sonos driven music. I spoke to an audiophile (owner of Echo audio in Seattle) and he suggested a dac. In particular, because he knows I'm cheap haha!, he suggested the California Labs Sigma ii, Enlightened Audio Designs DSP-7000 mkiii, and some Krell dacs (stealth and ??) that I have never seen listed for sale. I missed an opportunity on both the Cal Labs and the EAD and I'm kicking myself. With ALL this being said, what other dacs should I consider? My budget is $750 or less and I would prefer $400 or less. Old vs new? Tube? NOS? DSD? Yadda yadda. I am looking for an increased sound stage and dynamic range. If I get more clarity and warmth then yee haw!

I appreciate all of your input in advance. Thanks for letting this first timer ramble.

Btw, I listen to mostly indie rock but I seriously dive into ALL types of music and yes I like it loud.
troydunnagan
IMO, you’d be much better off saving your money toward your next speaker or amp upgrade.

I experimented with a number of DACs in the <$1000 range, one of which was "Class A" rated. My conclusion is that there’s very little difference between them...almost completely identical in sound. I cannot speak for something like a $5k DAC, but "budget" DACs just don’t improve anything. Yes, I have excellent hearing, but I’m also honest with myself.

If you’re one who hears huge differences between speaker cables or ICs, then I suppose you might find a new DAC worthwhile.

At the very least, have the dealer demonstrate the differences in the DACs using the same gear, volume matched.
Replace your Sonos with a Bluesound Node2 and use the remaining funds for a good power cord and interconnects. Report back with the results.
I'm with @kalali +1 for the Node 2 + power cords + IC’s

This little box has more going for it that it’s (meagre) price suggests.

It will process 2-channel and multi-channel signals, so no problems there AND is has a sub out if needed

Sound quality from the on-board DAC+analogue outputs? - superb!
- no real need for an outboard DAC anymore

I downsized my A/V system to the Powernode 2 and I am very happy
Regards...
@williewonka

Great to read your favorable comments about the Node 2, because I too (no pun intended) am interested in it.

Question for you (or others on thread).... I have an Oppo UDP-205. I’m very happy with the sound. So too are many others. That said, have you or anyone else on the thread had a chance to hear the Oppo and if so, how would you compare the sound to the Node 2? I’m only interested in sound comparison. Features are besides the point. They likely sound different because Oppo uses Sabre ESS DAC and I believe Node 2 uses Burr Brown.

Thanks.