Which DAC ??? - Aesthetix Pandora Eclipse OR Bricasti M1 SE?

Fellow audiophiles, hope you are all well. I need your advice on my next DAC upgrade!!!

I recently acquired a Aesthetix Pandora DAC (base model) to replace my PS Audio Perfectwave mk2. I feel that the Pandora is a substantial improvement over Perfectware mk2 with sweet treble, solid mid and powerful bass. The vocals sound much smoother and there's more meat on the bones. For me, the sole task of music is to convey emotion and Pandora does this wonderfully! I feel that it brings souls to my music collections. Very musical DAC that I can keep listening for hours without any signs of fatigue. As compared to Pandora, the Perfectwave sounds analytical, flat and lifeless.

I like the Pandora so much that one month after I acquired it I'm thinking of upgrading it to its top of the line edition, the Eclipse edition which costs substantially more than than the base model and is in the same price range as the well-known Bricastsi M1 SE. The problem is there's no place in Sydney to audition the Pandora Eclipse or the Bricasti M1 SE, not to mention a home audition.

Now here comes my questions: Could you please kindly share your experience if you listened to the either Aesthetix Pandora Eclipse or Bricasti M1 SE before? The sound that I'm chasing is open, live, 3d and most importantly, musical and engaging. Bricasti M1 SE is a world class DAC and most of the reviews are overwhelmingly positive. However, there are still a few people saying it can be bright therefore fatiguing at times. Is it true? OR should I take a totally new perspective and upgrade other components to maximize the SQ improvement e.g. a dedicated server like Antipodes DX?

My humble system comprises:

Mac mini with Uptone DC-Conversion / Linear Fan Controller Kit (MMK).

Aesthetix Pandora DAC (base model)

Aesthetix Calypso Preamp

Aesthetix Atlas Monos

Magnepan 1.7i

IC: Entry level Chord XLR

Speaker cable: Clearday double shotgun

Please help me make an informed decision. Your opinion is highly appreciated!!!!!

Thanks.

Steven

steven365

Showing 4 responses by steven365

Hi Jim, thanks for the info, much appreciated.

The price of the Eclipse upgrade for Pandora is a whopping $6,500 USD. I'm having a hard time justifying the cost for a couple of exotic capacitors, new power supply and new feet. With $6500 USD I could probably find a used Bricasti M1 SE with Network Card which is a much better known DAC and their upgrade price has always been acceptable. 

If I have to choose between upgrading Pandora and buying a Antipodes DX server, which one do you believe will bring the most improvement in SQ? Also do you feel that the Antipodes DX gen 3 is much better than gen 1? Some one told me that gen 1 sounds more relaxed and organic, is it true? 

Thanks.
@audioconnection 

Hi John

nice to see you again. Thanks for your advices via WhatsApp. I purchased the Aesthetix Atlas Monos and Pandora based on your recommendation and I am indeed impressed. 

Just wondering if you have compared the Pandora Eclipse with Ayon S- 5 or S-10 DAC/streamer which are also no feedback design? 

Thanks

@tomic601 Hi Tom

thanks for the info. May I please ask which tubes did you purchase from Vintage Tube?

I’m thinking of upgrading to the Eclipse edition but feel the cost is quite discouraging. Nowadays everyone is talking about streaming believing better sound quality can be achieved via Ethernet than via USB. Maybe I should give the DAC/streamer option a go, like the Ayon S-10? I’ve heard great things about the Ayon S-10 and the gentleman who sold me the Pandora highly recommends it.