Which Conrad Johnson pre is a step-up from PFR?

Hi
Recently for some unknown reason i sold my beloved PFR preamp and after numerous preamp changes realized that i cannot recapture the magic i once had in my system when it was in it.My question is:which other CJ preamp has the same kind of sound (golden glow sound,big presence in the midrange,wide soundstage)?To be precise i am looking at the Premier line but not with the "new school"ultra transparent sound that CJ switched to around 2000-2001.I know that Premier 15 is very good but i already own CJ EV-1 phono stage so it kinda defeats the purpose.Would Premier 14 or 16 be a substantial step-up from PFR?Thank You all for your advices.
overhang

Showing 2 responses by uru975

I own a premier 16 LS2 and I can find no other preamp that is even close. I listened to the new B&W 802's with a MacIntosh CD player, preamp and their 400 W amp. Sounded dead then i took my premier 16 in, replaced the McIntosh preamp and pure gold, music instead of merely wondrous sound. I cannot say to much good about it. My previous preamp was C-J's PV 11 with phono, so I hold on to my equipment for about a decade before upgrading. Hope this helps Michael
The McIntosh preamp was/is the C-45 and it cannot begin to compare to the Premier 16 by CJ thnaks for asking Michael