Which cartridge is the Imaging/soundstaging champ

Hello all:
I'm a new participant in these forums, though I've read virtually every post for the last 18 months. I'm a new owner of a Scoutmaster/JMW 9.
I got a Grado Statement Sonata as a starter cartridge(also using the VPI 3 gm headshell weight), and feel like I've gotten it set up pretty wel(VTA/VTF/SRA seem as good as I can get them). I have a nice high resolution system but can't seem to create an outrageously terriffic soundstage with pinpoint imaging like my digital front end can. I really can only listen to SOTA digital recordings at this point as my analog front end is just so superior overall. I do miss the excellent imaging and stage specificity though. I'm using the Cardas Neutral Reference phono cable into my EAR 864 preamp (with wonderful Mullard NOS tubes).
I feel the Grado is the culprit. What do you think? Which cartridge in the $750-$1500 range would be the imaging champ?
Thanks for your help.
Jim
jdolgin

Showing 1 response by tms0425

I have the ZYX Airy3S-SB medium output (0.48mv) on my Scoutmaster JMW9 Signature (center clamp, ring weight, SDS) via the latest VPI phono cables into a Joule Electra OPS2 and I'd have to agree with everything CMO said above. The combo is extraordinarily musical, with excellent image height and width, especially compared to the best in CD. I have both a Modwright/Sony 999ES Platinum and a Wadia 861 and, while they are both very good, it's really no contest on the imaging front. I certainly don't want for anything more on my analog rig when comparing to my CDPs. The Wadia is at GNSC right now so we'll see when it comes back, but it has a lot of ground to make up IMHO.