Which cartridge in a Nottingham Analogue?

I'm thinking of going with the Nottingham Analogue Interstate Junior with the Nottingham tone arm.
I've been given the option of numerous cartridges but I don't know a( what their sound signature is like and b)How will they work in the Nottingham if I like the sound clean and detailed?

If anyone has opinions on any of these please feel free to share. Thanks very much by the ay the advice is helpful.
So, in no particular order my options are

Benz Micro MC-Gold
Dynavector 10x5
Ortofon Quintet Blue
Clearaudio Concept MC
Clearaudio Performer v2
Denon DL 103R
Grado Reference Platinum 1
Grado Statement Sonata 1
Ortofon 2M Black
Transrotor Cantare
Sumiko Blue Point EVO III
rob-in-spain

Showing 1 response by br3098

The late Tom Fletcher, designer of the Nottingham turntables and tonearms, was not a fan of MC cartridges and designed his tonearms to use MM carts. Based on weight, these arms generally work best with cartridges on the higher side of the compliance slope - I recommend a cartridge with a compliance value of 14 or higher.

Having said that, I have successfully used many MC cartridges with my Nottingham arms over the years. Being unipivot arms, tracking is always an issue. I have had very good luck with the Ortofon MCs and the Grado Statement and Reference MI cartridges. Based on experience I suggest that you stay away from low compliance cartridges like the Denon DL-103 series, among others.