Which band IS really America's Greatest (rock & roll band)?

When I consider my priorities for this category, I cannot come up with any other than CCR.

Their output as a band was short compared to others, yes..

When I say America's greatest rock & roll band, this = the output or even the basis on which a band formed, had in their DNA, America's roots! It doesn't even matter that we now know CCR formed in California, their DNA as a band transformed their birthplace but it more importantly brought forth the (soul) of get down and dirty) Rock & Roll in it's raw form!

HELL YEAH!
128x128slaw
@ tyray
"Rocket 88, by Jackie Brenston, with Ike on Piano, is generally considered the first R&R Record, along with Fats Domino's "Fat Man".

Big Joe Turner’s "Shake, Rattle, and Roll" came out in 1954, and is a perfect example of actual Rock ’n’ Roll music that at the time of it’s release was not being marketed as such. The reason obviously being, Joe was a black man, and the U.S.A. was a segregated country. The music of almost all black artists/entertainers was made for radio stations that played Race music, as it was called. White artists routinely covered songs by black singers (as Bill Haley did to Big Joe’s "S, R, & R"), and their versions were marketed to whites, on both radio and the new medium on television.

Well, that didn’t prevent Southern whites from tuning in to the radio shows playing Race music, and then buying the records (78’s, then 45’s). Sun Record’s owner/recording engineer Sam Phillips had been recording black artists (the great Howlin’ Wolf, to name one) for the Race market, and knew there was a hunger for that music amongst white teenagers. Hence the well known quote attributed to him: "If I could find a white man with the black feel, I’d make a million bucks". In walked Elvis Presley!

Elvis (and Jerry Lee, Buddy Holly, Johnny Burnette, Carl Perkins, etc.) listened to both The Grand Old Opry and the stations playing black music, and combined the two to create the original white Rock ’n’ Roll, Rockabilly. Elvis’ five Sun singles contained a Blues/R&B-based song on one side, and a Hillbilly on the other. Elvis was so Hillbilly his original band contained no drummer. Why? Drums were not allowed on the stage of The Grand Old Opry! When it was discovered he was white (he was originally assumed to be black, sounding as he did and being on Sun Records), he was given the nickname "The Hillbilly Cat". Cat was the term used at the time for black musicians.

Much of the music discussed here on Audiogon is that of, or descended from, the 1960’s. Yet if you read what many of the artists making that music have said, it is the music of the 1950’s they like most. Ask Jeff Beck. Ask John Lennon (well.....). When music got SO bad in the 1970’s (Progressive, Hard Rock/Metal, Disco, etc.), many 1960’s generation Rock ’n’ Roll musicians started looking back for inspiration, at the music from before their time. What they discovered was Jump Blues, Country Blues (very different from the urban strain), Rockabilly, Hillbilly (The Carter Family onward), Bluegrass, and other Roots musics. When Dylan brought The Hawks up to Woodstock, it was that music he and they mined to create their new music. The current Americana artists continue to do the same. Dylan has said that, though it is with the 1960’s he is identified, it is the music of the 1950’s and earlier with which he identifies.

The key turning point for me was Buddy Holly.

He took the mix of Blues and Country and created something new. Paradoxically, he sowed the seeds for the ultimate demise of Rock and Roll by laying the ground for what was to follow ie, the Beatles etc.
The early Beatles music has been described as the melding of Buddy Holly chord structures, Everly Brothers harmonies, and Chet Atkins guitar playing. An over-simplification, but not that far off. I would add other songwriting influences to those of Buddy (Brill Building in particular, but also the likes of Felice and Boudleaux Bryant), and other guitarists (James Burton obviously, for one). Rubber Soul was the last album to show those influences to any great extent, the Rain/Paperback Writer single and then Revolver album a complete departure. By that time, Lennon and McCartney were no longer writing together, and the mix was gone. The strengths and weaknesses of each became apparent, the chemistry between the two sorely missed.
to n80 wikipedia is never wrong is a bold statement--believe what you want but I respectfully disagree.