Which band IS really America's Greatest (rock & roll band)?

When I consider my priorities for this category, I cannot come up with any other than CCR.

Their output as a band was short compared to others, yes..

When I say America's greatest rock & roll band, this = the output or even the basis on which a band formed, had in their DNA, America's roots! It doesn't even matter that we now know CCR formed in California, their DNA as a band transformed their birthplace but it more importantly brought forth the (soul) of get down and dirty) Rock & Roll in it's raw form!

HELL YEAH!
128x128slaw

Agree on Steely Dan. I have always loved them, but when Walter Becker died I spent a few weeks listening to their albums over and over, coming to the conclusion that no American band has ever surpassed the quality of their albums, especially the first four.
I didn't read through all the posts so I may have missed the mention. Lot's of good ones by the way but how about the man than just retired, Mr. Paul Simon? Sure, he's a single artist and not a band but what better American icon?
Buffalo Springfield were a major influence on my early musical career, but they were legendary for their inconsistent live shows...fist fights...out of tune playing and singing...but obviously monster talent. I tried to sing like Stills which for me was a really bad idea as it likely sounded like a 17 year old surfer kid who had just swallowed a frog.
Buffalo Springfield and Moby Grape remind me of each other---almost too much talent for one group, both with three guitarists and singers, and multiple songwriters. Springfield’s three album are all must-owns imo, and while the Grape’s are more variable, there are some great ones. Their debut is one of the best ever, sounding just as fresh and exciting as it did at the time of it’s release. A lot of the music from their time now sounds dated, but the music of these two groups is timeless. Two of America’s greatest bands, though I’m not sure I’d call either Rock ’n’ Roll. Maybe the Grape, Springfield definitely not.