Which band IS really America's Greatest (rock & roll band)?

When I consider my priorities for this category, I cannot come up with any other than CCR.

Their output as a band was short compared to others, yes..

When I say America's greatest rock & roll band, this = the output or even the basis on which a band formed, had in their DNA, America's roots! It doesn't even matter that we now know CCR formed in California, their DNA as a band transformed their birthplace but it more importantly brought forth the (soul) of get down and dirty) Rock & Roll in it's raw form!

HELL YEAH!
128x128slaw
Grateful Dead.  Throughout their career they have put their take on American music - Buddy Holly, Merle Haggard, Woody Guthrie, Howling Wolf, Dixie Cups, Marty Robbins, and the list goes on.  Blues, country, rock, and folk.  They have recorded more truly American music than any other American band.  Their roots are truly across the entire spectrum of 20th century American (non-classical) music.
Good ones not mentioned...

Aerosmith, Metallica, Talking Heads, Television, The Cars, The Remains.

DeKay
While we're talking names how about the "Boss" from Asbury Park. My opinion is I have none, there are too many to name one above all.
tubegroover, you're right of course. And it isn't a competition. If it was, and sales was the issue, then it would be Michael Jackson....The Eagles are second and fifth place goes to.....Meat Loaf!  If it was purely influence it would probably be Elvis. If it was pure Americana or pure talent it would probably be the Band.

For me, the value of threads like this, where people make a case for a certain band or musician is that it gives me ideas of music to try out. Either stuff I've forgotten about, stuff I've never heard or stuff I was sure I didn't like but about which someone had made a good case.

I'm not much of an Eagles fan but when it comes to sales, popularity, prolificness, talent and durability I think they rank pretty high.

Most of the better bands from before the British Invasion have been mentioned. The point here seems to be (I think) great performances, rather than great records....rock n roll energy. On that basis...

The Feelies, The Bongos, Television, Talking Heads and The Replacements (drunken performances notwithstanding) all deserve mention among US bands that emerged later.  All could rock like mad.  Their songs could be overwrought for my taste sometimes, but The E Street band was great and deserves consideration here

CCR had a great two year run of unmatched records, but they weren’t a great live band.

That said, the right answer IMO is Chuck Berry and co.