which amp to upgrade my Levinson 383/39/WattPuppy6

hi,

i have a Mark Levinson 383 integrated, 39 CD proc, Wilson Watt Puppy 6, Transparent cable setup. my room is not is a fair size (22'x16' w/14' ceilings), but minimal rugs and lots of windows without curtains. the sound in this room tends to be on the bright side with all of the windows and no sound treatments.

even with the Levinsons, the sound feels a bit forward, almost bright sometimes, and i'm not getting enough "weight" in the bass (i seem to lose a lot under 30hz). assuming i can't do much with the room, what is the best way to help improve the sound. especially in the bass area. if i add a multi-hundred watt stereo or even mono-block amp, will this improve?

i prefer solid state over tubes, and mostly listen to standard cd's, mostly jazz, classical, house/trance.

i've been considering upgrading my amp (using the pre-amp in either the 383 or even 39) to a Krell FPB series, Classe CA-M400, Parasound JC 1, or Pass Labs 350. am i on the right track or should i be considering something else?

thanks in advance!

h
henrus

Showing 1 response by bradleypeacockba28

Henrus,

I am in your shoes right now. I am using a Levinson 383 to drive my Egglestonworks Rosa loudspeakers. Like your Wilsons, the 383 just isn't enought to drive my Rosa's properly. It is definitely the weak link in my system.

The 383 cannot be run as a pre-amplifier so you will have to replace it with another integrated or make the full jump to separates. I am auditioning separates at home right now. I think I have decided on a Mark Levinson 320S pre-amplifier and the Halcro DM38 power amp. It is proving to be a wonderful combination to my ears and it has found new music in much of my old CD collection. It is clearly a major step up in price over the 383, but it is even a more dramatic upgrade in sound quality - night and day really.

Hope this helps!

Brad