Which amp and CDP for around $1200?

I'm looking to get a dedicated CDP (preferably new) with either an integrated amp or a power amp/passive pre-amp combo (used would be fine). In total, I'm hoping to not spend much more than $1200.

I'd be most grateful for any advice or experience about what components would work well together. Especially with the latter amp option a careful matching of components is vital. (For the CDP, I'm thinking of Arcam CD73, in part because of a local dealer who's OK with home demoing and who would probably sell me one for around $600.) Thanks!
magical_noise

Showing 2 responses by magical_noise

Funny coincidence, Coffeey: I'd already found a good deal on the Arcam 92 with very few hours on it. It arrived yesterday and I'm still just feeling it out, but I notice great improvement in all respects. Makes me a happy camper. The next stage is to start thinking about the amp upgrade; if I wait for a few months, I think can get into something in the $800-$1,000 range. More research to be done. Thanks for everyone's advice.
Thanks so much for the suggestions -- can I fish for some more?

I currently have NAD C352 for an amp and fear it may be the stumbling block for a CDP such as Arcam; that's why I'm looking for an amp at the same time. I listen mostly to dynamic rock (of the grittier variety), with some jazz and acoustic blues on the side. I look for a system that's dynamic, musically involving, and produces balanced and transparent sound across the frequency spectrum. Future upgradability is a factor, but not an overriding one.

Odyssey Cyclops (the new integrated) looks great, but it's a little too simple in its input options, given my needs (I also need to run my DVD player through the amp); Khartago with a separate passive preamp might work better, if I could swing the moolah.

Audio Refinement Complete Alpha interests me a great deal. I also hear good things about Jolida 1501 (tube pre/SS power). Any experience with that? Going perhaps a step below, what about Onix amps? With any of these amps, I'd need to come up with a decent but inexpensive headphone solution for my sporadic can listening (Grado SR-125). Any advice on a solution?

Listening opportunities will unfortunately be limited, so advice on matching would be greatly appreciated.