Which $7000 speakers to ask Santa?

I am considering forking out up to $7,000 maximum on a used pair of floorstanders that need to be my last pair (joke! at least last me 5-10 yrs and stop upgrading). Room is 13*21*7 and the rest of the system is slightly on the warm side of neutral so my preference goes for neutral to revealing speakers with very tight bass and lower mid (room accoustic tendency to emphasize the 100-500 Hz). On my short list are:
- Verity Audio Parsifal Encore
- Avalon Ascendant Gen II(new tweeter with more bite than gen I)or Opus Ceramic
- JM Lab Diva Utopia Be

I would love full range but not at the expense of bass quality so a 28-30Hz min can do if of high quality.

Any suggestions?

Txs
beheme

Showing 3 responses by dodgealum

Some information about the components used in front of the speakers would be helpful. One speaker that comes to mind is the Wilson Sophia. You might find a newer II version for a bit more than 7K but the Sophia I can certainly be had for that money. Another speaker to consider would be the Proac D38 which can also be found around that price. Or, a bit warmer and more musical would be the Daedalus DA-1, which can be had new for around 6K. I own these and they compare favorably to the two speakers cited above--but for much less money.

Happy shopping!
Of those mentioned so far and that I forgot to include in my initial post I'd like to second the Focus Audio's and the Merlin's. Since you seem game to get off the beaten path I'd like to once again suggest the Daedalus DA-1's. Do a search on this site and read about my 2 year adventure to find an extraordinary sounding but not fantastically expense full range floorstander. The search ended with the DA-1's and I heard and rejected many of the speakers recommended here--including the Wilson's, ProAc's, Von Schweikert's, Focus's, Merlin's and Vandersteen's. Yep, heard them all in ideal demonstrations and bought the Daedalus's. They might not be your cup of tea but they are certainly worth a listen.
Beheme:

I heard the Zen Adagio's at a recent show and was unimpressed. Of course, a show setting is not ideal so take this for what it's worth.

I applaud your interest in venturing into lesser known territory. My search began by narrowing the field by reading countless reviews--this proved useless as one "highly rated" speaker after another failed to engage me on even the most superficial level. I started trying to read between the lines of the reviews, looking for some shred of critical appraisal within the cascade of superlatives. This proved futile as well. In the end I just figured I had to get out there and hear everything that met my basic criteria--full range and nice to look at. I also tried to selectively use the A'gon and other forums like the Asylum, looking for audiophiles who shared my listening preferences and philosophy and then back reading their threads. This proved far more useful than the mass publications. It was a long journey but I really feel it was worth it--with the Daedalus I no longer lust after other speakers and know I will only replace them if someday I'm able to move into a whole other price bracket. One thing I can say about this speaker--most of the guys who own them feel the same way I do--that they are not for everybody but if you click with them you are done. Most of the stuff I heard over my two year run was bland, sterile and polite. The DA-1's sound like real music in your room, not "really great hifi". They are utterly unfatiguing and you can (and will) listen for hour on end. Lou Hinkley is a great guy to work with and really has a passion for his gear. The DA-1's may not end up being your cup of tea but I would certainly have a listen, if just to have a different sound to compare the other stuff to. Heck, if your in the NYC metro area just come on by and have a listen.