Which $500 Speaker Next?

I'm going to be buying a new pair of speakers in a few weeks and wanted to get some input from you all.

My equipment is Classe CA-150 amp, lightspeed attenuator...
Looks are important, I like detail, imaging, tight well defined bass, maybe a little forward sound... My listening room is a small to medium sized bedroom

Brands I'm looking at:

Swan D1.1se
LSA .5 or 1.0
B&W 601 S3 or 685 local
Tannoy Revolution DC6
Focal 705v or 806v
Selah Audio
PSB Stratus Golds local (completly different from the others here)
NSM 10s local

And Anything else here on the Gon around $500.

I like all types of music. Vocal and drums need to sound good, along with guitars.

Thanks ahead of time for your input!
128x128b_limo

Showing 5 responses by b_limo

Thanks T!

Thats a speaker I haven't looked at yet but will do!

Two more speakers I forgot to add is the quad 12l2 and possibly the clue.

And again, I would like some good looking speakers with high quality drivers, crossovers and nice solid cabinents. I am not against buying used at all.

Thank you again!!
I don't know, those swan d1.1 and d2.2 look beautiful, get great reviews, are cheap, look to be built well with good parts...

Those warfdales look nice also, and I also like those full range speakers that don't use crossovers...i'll def conside those also, thanks!

Keep the input coming please! Got a week and a half before I get something :-)
Thanks everyone!

2nd time in two days that I wrote a long response only to have it get deleted....

So, I've been interested in maggies and kind of forgot about those so I'll check them out. I see them come up here locally for sale so I'll check c-List and report back (denver c-list if anyone wants to help!).

Good to hear that the clue was like- thanks!

So I went and looked at b&w, sonus faber, focal, golden ear this morning.

I actually really like the b&w cm5's, but a little pricey.

The focals were okay but they were hooked up to a nad whereas the others were on a moon int.

I think here in two weeks I'll go pick up a few pairs to demo at home.

P.S. those Swans are still tempting me...
Lol @ Dayglo; I suppose you are right my friend. Funny how we americans want it all and really don't want to pay for it (I'm in sales).

Anywho, I am a bit scared to get a used pair of maggies after reading about repair costs etc. so I'll look at those mmg's (by the way, I don't think they are ugly.

Also, good to hear about that Tannoy! Still high on my list.

One more possible contender: the Wavetouch Grand Teton. Couldn't find more than one or two reviews though. Any input from some people who have heard the grand tetons? I was kindly offered an outstanding deal on a pair to help get good reviews out there. The deal was offered with a 30 day money back guarantee....

Desicions decisions...

Thanks to all who've replied!!

:-)
Okay, quick update:

I decided to go with another pair of paradigms (studio 40's v.4). I got them for $500, they are rosenut and in perfect shape.

Since I sold my 60's, I replaced my classe ssp 25 pre with a lightspeed attenuator, upgraded my cables and powercords, upgraded my wadia 170 power supply and added acoustic treatments. The 40's v.4 absolutely smash the 60's v.5, and I believe its because of the changes I've made to my rig since the 60's.

I listened to some Dali Icon 6's and Totem Arros for 4-5 hours before deciding on the 40's. The Dali's had good detail and attack, the Totems disappeared, had great tone, were very musical, had great bass for a speaker that size but just lacked some detail and resolution that I prefer. The Dali's and Totems would have cost $200-$300 more than the studio 40's which was also a determining factor.

I was also offered a great deal on the WaveTouch speakers (thanks!) but decided against them because I didn't care for the looks.

Anyways, I'm super happy with the studio 40's and for $500 I feel like I did well.

Thanks for all the input guys, I appreciate it!!