Which 3K CDP: Simaudio Nova, Ayre CX-7 Wadia 302

Unfortunately the market is saturated with many 'new' ~3K CD players, all of which are well reviewed. I have heard all 3, but do not have the opportunity to do A/B comparisons, as only the Simaudio is available where I live. It is tough to compare the 3 in your mind, when you have listened to all 3 in 3 different cities, using different electronics, speakers and in different rooms. All 3 sounded great, but without the possibility of direct comparison it is tough to choose among them.

I will likely be using them with Hovland HP200 pre vs. Simaudio P-5 pre, Simaudio LE W-5 amp, and speakers still undecided (JMlab Alto Be vs. Dynaudio Confidence C2 vs. Wilson Sophia)
thom_y

Showing 2 responses by cytocycle

Gamut CD1R or the newer version is pretty amazing.. I am a fan of Wadia but the Gamut got me more for my money.. The R version fixed the bass problem with a powersupply upgrade. It sounds increadible on my Wilson Watt Puppy 7's (Sophia would be just as revealing). Just make sure you preamp can handle the 5 volt output (the Wadia's are hot also 5volt-10volt)
"Sim Audio" Good thing about that 10 year warranty, I had my Sim Audio W5 for only 5 days before I sent it back!

Are you really intending to keep your front end for 10years? in 5 years a $200 player will kill it..

My wadia 12 that I bought used was still doing duty 2 years ago when I sold it... so is that like 10+ years?? The seller sold it to me without the feet, and when I called wadia to see how much they were, they just asked for my address and sent them to me in 5 days for free! I couldn't ask for better support.