Which 300B SET for SF Guarneri Homage?

Driving my Guarneri with a Pass Aleph 3 amp(with audio aero capitole mkIISE cdp+pre), which goes quite well, but thinking of upgrading amp to a couple of 300B monoblocks...
The thing is this is a tricky change because, among other things, the Pass is built like a tank and is an excellent amp. So I want to make the decision carefully with no hurries...
Considering as an option the Coincident Frankenstein's but i'm not too informed about tube amps.
I listen to all sorts of music though fav is Opera, so my expectations with the change would go on the line of getting a more real life experience.
I wonder if anyone had any experience of driving these 87db sensitivity, 6-8ohm speakers with a SET and would appreciate opinions or suggestions
dongiovanni

Showing 2 responses by onemug

My experience:

I usually drive my GH's with either a Pass XA30.5 or my vintage Marantz 8b. Lately, I've been driving them with a pair of Cary 300b SE Signature monoblocks with very pleasing results. The 300b holds a mystical/musical quality in the midrange that just draws me in.

My advice:

All 300b amps are not created equal. You will want one with nice transformers and power supply and of good design. Your GH's deserve it. Good luck.
I think the OP may be getting a little confused at this point. Will it work or won't it? My answer still is, "it could".

I haven't heard the CF's paired with the GH's so I don't know how "that" pairing would work and even if I have, what works for me may not for the OP.

What I gleaned from reading the topic was:

His 30 watts from his Aleph 3 was sufficient for him.

He likes Opera (midrange?), he's not looking for louder, he wants a more "real life" experience and wants to try a 300b. I think the "right" 300b amp might give him that (for ultimate purity, try and stay single ended). My Cary 300b's put out 15 wpc. That's 3 db less power/not a big deal/might work for him/does for me. I get a beautiful midrange.

The dream would be for him to try an amp out and see for himself. The reality is, that's going to be tough. So, short of that, you gather as much info as you can and make the best decision.

How loud is probably the most important factor. With the 87 db spec, you will not get 107 db out of any 300b single ended amp. On the other hand, you can you can get 77 db with 1/10th of a watt, 67 db with 1/100th of a watt. Ever hear how loud 67 or 77 db is? Not so loud for some, enough for others. (Factor in listening distances and the size of the room).

So again, in a 300b/GH pairing, I say "it could" work. Depends on how loud and the quality of the amp.

Where is my award? I want my award! ;-)