Which 300B SET for SF Guarneri Homage?

Driving my Guarneri with a Pass Aleph 3 amp(with audio aero capitole mkIISE cdp+pre), which goes quite well, but thinking of upgrading amp to a couple of 300B monoblocks...
The thing is this is a tricky change because, among other things, the Pass is built like a tank and is an excellent amp. So I want to make the decision carefully with no hurries...
Considering as an option the Coincident Frankenstein's but i'm not too informed about tube amps.
I listen to all sorts of music though fav is Opera, so my expectations with the change would go on the line of getting a more real life experience.
I wonder if anyone had any experience of driving these 87db sensitivity, 6-8ohm speakers with a SET and would appreciate opinions or suggestions
dongiovanni

Showing 2 responses by montejay

I for one am not surprised that these 300b amps work on some speakers that some wouldn't think possible. You really have to listen to them with different speakers before you can form a conclusion.They do open up 300b SET possiblities to people who thought could not drive their speakers.
Congrats and enjoy!
Hi Don,
As good as those tubes are out of the box,the black bottles will take a while to burn in,around 500+ hours but are well worth the wait.
I am using Pearl tube cooler/dampers with my Franks. The help to reduce the microphonics and you really feel the heat coming off the tubes. Israel recommended them when I was experiencing a slight microphonic issue after going to the treasures from the Full music carbons.
After borrowing or audititioning different interconnects from MIT's to Nordest and a few inbetween, the Coincident Extreme interconnects worked the best for me. They sound like they are not there is the best way to discribe its effect on my system.
After that I went for Extremes from power chord to speaker cable. The intial interconnect switch I made, had the biggest impact for me.
I would love for you to hear those amps with a high efficent speaker of 94+ with a stable impedence curve. That would really display the dynamics of these 300b`s
Glad you are enjoying these special amps. After nearly three years I look forward to listening as much as I did when I first got them.

Regards,