Which 300B SET for SF Guarneri Homage?

Driving my Guarneri with a Pass Aleph 3 amp(with audio aero capitole mkIISE cdp+pre), which goes quite well, but thinking of upgrading amp to a couple of 300B monoblocks...
The thing is this is a tricky change because, among other things, the Pass is built like a tank and is an excellent amp. So I want to make the decision carefully with no hurries...
Considering as an option the Coincident Frankenstein's but i'm not too informed about tube amps.
I listen to all sorts of music though fav is Opera, so my expectations with the change would go on the line of getting a more real life experience.
I wonder if anyone had any experience of driving these 87db sensitivity, 6-8ohm speakers with a SET and would appreciate opinions or suggestions
dongiovanni

Showing 2 responses by afc

I was leery of the Frankenstein's "lack" of power- until I got them. It's a damn robust 8 wpc, and I like to listen at pretty loud volumes. Couldn't comment when the thread came up, because one is never sure how a purportedly low power SET amp will perform with a not so sensitive speaker....but I had a strong hunch he'd really enjoy the Frankensteins. They are remarkable amplifiers- so much so that my beloved MastersounD Compact 845 amp is off on temporary loaner duty while I continue to explore what the Frankensteins can do. They're that good. Don, what I can tell you is that if you like the Franks, consider getting the Coincident Extreme IC's for them- opens up a whole new door of transparency with the Franks. Did you get them from Israel with the Shuguang Treasure Black Bottles? If not, I'd say go for that, too. Yet another decent upgrade to the amplifiers.
Don, if you go for it, I think the Extreme IC's will be a sizable upgrade for you.

I too use Pearl Tube Coolers. The guys at Parts Connexion have them...they'll tell you that Pearl doesn't make a cooler for the 300B tubes, but Israel says the PF-150's fit the 300B tubes just fine. Do NOT go with the Dragon tube dampers for the 300B tubes- mine keep falling off the shoulders of my 300B tubes, and you can't mount them from below. Do the coolers work? I haven't had many problems with microphonics, but you can notice it if you tap the 300B's lightly, but as I said, can't hear it when playing music, to my ears at least. But they will, by the cooling effect, probably increase tube life, which makes them worth it IMO.