Which 12AX7 tubes for EAR 834P phono stage?

I am experimenting with vinyls, and acquired EAR phono stage for a starter. I've compared the sound of EAR against Camelot Lancelot, and Sutherland PhD on two different systems. To my ears EAR sounds lush and smooth, perhaps a little too much so. I would like more lively and dynamic sound, like Sutherland phono stage. Can I replace the tubes in EAR and make the sound to the direction of more lively and dynamic? Or do I need to look for a different phono stage? I'm currently using a Rega table with Benz Micro MC cartridge loaned from my friend. I will be using a B&O table with moving iron MMC 20CL cartridge when I have everything set up next week or so.
jylee
Yes I agree with Lloydc. Modification + Premium tubes will have exponential improvements.

Good Luck
Mitch Singerman upgraded some of the capacitors and resistors and installed JJ tubes in my 834P deluxe model. I also use Sillpoint cones which improved the imaging, definition, and clarity a lot. To my ears the 834P now sounds much better than my Sutherland Phd.
We added a EAR MC-4 to our 834P, switched it back to MM and were blown away by the improvement.

The built-in step-up transformers defiantly leave something to be desired, but then again we doubled our cost.

There are lower priced alternatives, see www.10Audio for a DIY step-up.

You might want to try a (lower gain) 5751 at V3. This allowed us to turn our volume control up a little where our preamp sounds better.

Cheers
The sound might even out with the B&O rig.

I use Mullard tubes in my 834P Signature.

When using a MC cartridge I would suggest a higher spec external step-up transformer for the MC input. I run a Fidelity Research FRT-3 that levels out the lush bass and brings out the highs a little for a really enjoyable performance. My cartridge is a Dynavector Karat 17D3.

This is a great phono-stage non the less.

Dont bother with still-points of other accessories. The mechanical construction is more than adequate for proper support.