Which: $1000 MM or Transformer and $400 MC?

My budget is $1000. Which would make more sense: a $600 used Bob's Devices step up and a $400 MC cartridge or a $1000 MM or MI cartridge? My downstream system:

Clearaudio Solution AMG
Aikido DIY preamp
Quicksilver M80s
Green Mt. Continuum 3s.

Garibaldi
128x128garibaldi
High output MC has my vote too. There is also the dynavector DV20XH that would do. I have one and I like it a lot.
yup, that would be my initial suggestion, but include the following also, because they are good even though some are MM:

- Dynavector 20X-H
- Clearaudio Virtuoso 2 (but the Maestro Wood would be worth the stretch)
- Sumiko Blackbird
What about the possiblity of a phono preamp that can handle LOMCs without an SUT?

A number of solid contenders in this category.

Why are you holding on to the Aikido? Sound quality, sentimentality? I ask as someone who ran DIY speakers for longer than really made sense considering what I paid for partnering components for them.
Roscoeiii

The Aikido works for me because I like the way it sounds, it's bulletproof, it has a Phono Dude phono section and it was inexpensive.

Nothing in my system was bought new. Where I live there's no opportunity to hear anything before I purchase, so I have to rely on what I read here, at Audioasylum, and in reviews.

The Clearaudio is a new addition to the system, it is quite different from my Denon 75/Lustre GST 1 with Grado Reference Platinum cartridge and I want to make sure that I get as much bang for the buck as I can while maximizing the performance of the new TT.

I hope this helps,

Very nice table, it can sound great and I think it looks very nice also. Certainly a well built machine.
I didn't see what tonearm you are using. If you per chance have the Satisfy arm a nice match could be the Clearaudio Maestro V2. It has a boron cant and the same Trygon PL stylus that is on the $13,000 plus Clearaudio Insider cartridge. It is a bargain at $1199-, a reach considering your budget but it may be worth it taking you to a level of refinement you may not have thought possible.