Where to place - need some hand holding please

To all,
I bought a system based on my research here with no audiophile experience (Until than my stereo had been an Aiwa boom box from my college days.) I have been very happy, so thanks everybody. Now that I have had it for 1+ year and have become very intimate with it, I want to start calibrating, or flatten the response rather. I had hoped after spending some time I would appreciate the differences better.
Please click on my system link to view setup and pics.
Where do I begin? Speaker placement? I have no clue where to put them. Where should I try? My sub baffles me the most as it fires 3 ways so the corner is not an option. Sumiko said to place it between the FR & FL, but my center goes there and there is no room for anything else up there. My room dimensions are: 19'L x 11'2"W x 8'H.
To make things more challenging, if you look at the pic titled: “Front View” the toed in cabinets behind the speakers are not even on both sides of the room. One goes a 2 inches further out into the room.
I should also mention my severe limitations at this point. I cannot put any room treatments because of Wife Acceptance. Nor can I spend any more money on things like equalizers, again because of my wife, as she was not too thrilled with the money I put in already.
Based on these limitations, is there anything I can do to improve the responses, like speaker placement, etc? If so, where should I move the speaker?

Thank you in advance for any help,
David
captaincapitalism

Showing 1 response by andy19191

I am with your wife on the money spent. Depending on your musical preferences, a good move might be to sell the sub, cables and power conditioner and take her away for a long weekend.

Your speakers and room are going to have the biggest impact on sound quality. Unless they wish to feel the "oomph" from bass many listeners prefer not to experience driving the room modes at high levels. From your photos your room looks fairly lively and aggressive room equalization stands little chance of producing a reasonably natural sound over the bass range.

My advice, for what it is worth, would be to read about room acoustics and what recording studios have done to improve the sound of their rooms. Even though you may be unable to apply many of the techniques changes of +/- 20dB in response may help put modifications in perspective.