Where should I spend my $2000?

I've been struggling about where to spend the money I have allocated for my system. Common sense tells me to get different, new or used, speakers, but I've been thinking about replacing my PrimaLuna Prologue One with a Rogue Cronus standard or Magnum. As an alternative, I was thinking of grabbing a Rogue Metis preamp so that I can use my Rotel RB 976-MKII for 150 wpc in bridged mode...and for the phono section in the Metis. I realize that probably won't make a big difference in sound quality, but I'm looking for any advice that might help me narrow the field, so to speak.

Honestly, I'm pretty happy with how everything sounds now, but I know, from what I've actually heard, that I have a long way to go. I'm using the Oppo in bypass mode so I need to adjust the volume manually. A volume remote would be nice...also a reason for looking at the Rogue pre and integrated. Yes, I've also thought about getting the Rogue Atlas and using the HA-1 as a pre with volume control. That's definitely an option.

Here's what I have hooked up now:

Sony DVP-S7700 > Oppo HA-1 > Primaluna Prologue One > Def Tech BP8B

I also have a Simaudio 100D DAC that I just picked up and the previously mentioned Rotel. I have a 480 sq ft space with 10' ceilings and concrete floors. Also there's a 10'x10' window wall that's normally covered with heavy curtains. My cables are Kimber PBJ and AQ Forest with big, but probably crappy, Monster Z series speaker cables. I also have a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon with an ART Audio phono pre that I use sparingly. I mostly listen to digital but I do like to spin records now and then. Guess I should mention that I have tried my Usher S-520s with the PrimaLuna and Rotel (Rotel through the HA-1) but they don't have enough low frequency for my taste. They sounded better with the PrimaLuna - just seemed to have a bit more impact/heft in the mid-bass. Jazz and vocals sound good with the Ushers but the Def Techs do a better job when I get the volume turning. With the volume at 9 o'clock on the PrimaLuna, it fills the space pretty well with the Def Techs.

So, if you had $2000 burning a hole in your pocket, where would you spend it? If your advice is to just keep what I have, that's great too.

Thanks in advance for your time.
chuke076

Showing 6 responses by chuke076

Thanks for the input. Yeah, I'm definitely "all over the place." I've auditioned a few pairs of speakers in the last few months; however, I wasn't serious enough to ask for an in-home demo... Sonus Faber Venere 1.5, KEF LS50 and Q700. To me, they sounded great with hi-end sources and amplification. I was able to hear the KEFs with modest amplification and I liked them both. Tough choice between the two KEFs for me... Though hard not to be biased with all the glowing reviews for the LS50, I think my preference was for the increased low end of the 700s.

I'm going to listen to the Sonus Fabers again this weekend. The dealer also has Dynaudio. I've checked out the Golden Ears online but have never heard them.

Thanks for the advice so far.
Thanks to everyone for the input. I've spent the last several days auditioning speakers and I have it narrowed down to these in order of preference:

Revel M106
Sonus Faber Venere 1.5
KEF LS50
Dynaudio X-14

All are right around $1500 with the Revels being a great deal at $1500 with the stands included (mint demos). Regular price is $2500. I believe any of these will be a nice upgrade. I tried to stick to brands I could audition and buy locally. I wanted to hear the Golden Ears but couldn't get out to the dealer this week. I can get the LS50s and the Revels for an in-home audition but no go on the Dynaudios and Sonus Fabers.

Definitely leaning toward the Revels at the price but the stands they charge $500 for are lightweight resin. Unimpressed. The SF stands are great and the Dynaudios seem to be solid too. Of course, no stands included with the LS50s but I have a pair of older Target stands that I filled with lead shot.

Yeah, I realize this should probably be in the speakers forum now...any other opinions appreciated...
Yeah the dealer carries Primaluna and said the Revels are a good, common match that they usually sell together. Thanks for that info.
So, the finalists are Harbeth P3, ProAc Tablette and, as a great deal on a demo pair ($1500), the Revel M106s. I increased my budget to $2500 after I heard the Harbeths and ProAcs. The Rogue Cronus does a great job with the Harbeths, IMO. I'm going to audition the Rogue with the ProAcs tonight or tomorrow. Hopefully, I'll be able to make a decision soon.
Thanks again for all the help. I auditioned the Totem Rainmaker yesterday and I think that's going to be my choice. They seemed to combine the attributes of Harbeth and ProAc with the weight of the Revels and Dynaudios that I heard. I also had a chance to listen to the Golden Ear Triton 7's and the Aon 2 and 3. I liked the Aon2 best of those. Great tweeter but a little unnatural sounding in the mid-bass.
Thanks, Schubert. :-)

Now it's time to see how the Rainmakers match up with the PrimaLuna. I'm traveling this week, so I can't pick them up until Friday or Saturday. The dealer said the PrimaLuna should pair well; however, the Musical Fidelity integrated (can't remember the model) that was pushing the Totems sounded like a REALLY good match. Since the Totems were just $1200, I still have some money lying around.

Also forgot to mention that I sold the Oppo HA-1 and Monster Cables and picked up some Analysis Plus Oval 12s. If I don't like the PrimaLuna pairing, I might be back to the original question!

Thanks again for all the help.