Where's Digital playback at today ?

Pardon my ignorance on this subject as I have not be around any digital playback for over 10 years.,..Some back ground, over a decade ago out of pure curiosity I purchased a Sony SCD777es .
Over the coarse of the three plus years that I owed this player I had it modified with all the stuff that was popular back then for this particular model.
Comparing other more expensive and popular digital players of the day back then ultimately left me cold.
So hence the title of my query, what's out there for under $8000.00 that a vinyl head could possibly warm up too?
Thank you
128x128in_shore

Showing 1 response by dhl93449

You should audition a "true" digital playback system. Redbook CD players can only approximate the true digital content of a CD, because they cannot eliminate errors that occur when playing back CDs in real time.

I am referring to a system that reads the digital content as digital files and "ripping" the content with software like dBpoweramp or similar. The files are digitally accurate down to the bit level. Of course, the playback of those files to streaming digital now becomes the challenge, but is one which a number of systems are doing well.

I have never been really satisfied with CD playback (when compared to vinyl) even though the low noise levels, lack of wear of the media, and ease of use have kept CDs at the top of the music heap in my life.

After trying a "memory" type player (PS Audio PWT) I could see the benefits of this type of system, and after further moving to a system that extracts and ripps digitally perfect files with dBpoweramp I began to hear things on CDs that I have missed heretofore.

You should try to listen to one of these systems to see if your opinion on digital remains. And BTW, these systems cost well under $8K.