Where/how to start?

My music source is CD, SACD, and LPs. I occasionally listen to streaming music through Spotify. I don't have a music server or I don't use DACs for any digital forms of music.

However, as I am growing older (almost 60), I've been thinking about making things simple and setting up digital systems. Also, even though it is not lossless, I feel that music from Spotify is getting better recently.

I have a dedicated HT and 2 channel system. I have OPPO 105D and Esoteric UZ1. (Also 5 turntables.) 

So, how would I start? I don't have a budget set yet so it would be tough for you to give any concrete advice, but I'd like to hear about basic and simple pathways to setup a decent digital systems.  

128x128ihcho

Great.

It appears that I would not be able to tell the difference between DACs on OPPO and Node.

I will most likely go for Bluesound Node with Qobuz subscription. To get a wired network connection I need to rearrange my current setup - swap the HT and 2 channel setups to avoid a long running network wire.

I based my decision on the budget, sound quality, flexibility, and ease of use. Once I gain more experience on digital streaming, I will get rid of at least one turntable to fund for a higher end streamer and DAC.

My iPad is about 4 years old and I have iPhone 11.

So, I can use either iPad or iPhone to control the music? Then, the connection between iPhone and Node is through WiFi, right?  

If I use a direct network connection, do I still use iPhone to control the music? Well, things will get cleared once I get a Node.

My iPad is about 4 years old and I have iPhone 11.

So, I can use either iPad or iPhone to control the music? Then, the connection between iPhone and Node is through WiFi, right?

If I use a direct network connection, do I still use iPhone to control the music? Well, things will get cleared once I get a Node.

Once you get the Node you will control it/music via phone and yes over network. Music will stream directly to Node over your wifi and you control what it streams via an app on the ipad/phone.

If you have an ipad with with a USB C connector you could use the Qobuz app on the ipad to stream directly to the USB B input on the Oppo. Dont even need a node.

On the iphone 11 or iPad with a lighting port you can use an apple usb lighting to digital camera adapter. This adapter has a usb c port on it. You then connect a USB cable that has USB C to USB B. The USB B plugs into oppo.

This effectively sends a digital signal from you phone/iPAD to the Oppo allowing you to stream up to 24/196 Khz (high rez) Directly to the Oppo from the Qobuz app on your phone. You can even download the physical files from Qobuz to your device and play them from there. I have actually done this.

Maybe not a long term solution but for less than a $75 you can do a free Qobuz trial and I think you be surprised how good it can sound.

If you interested you can contact me directly and I can walk you though it.

Camer adapter for iphone/iPAD

Here is what mine looks like.  This adapter only has the lighting to USB A connector.  Then the USB A to USB B cord.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n7t5u4f28f82jt3/IMG_5088%20Medium.jpeg?dl=0 

Here is a little movie of the Qobuz app on my ipad connected directly to my DAC via the adapter and USB.  you can see the 96K on the DAC display.