Where/how to start?

My music source is CD, SACD, and LPs. I occasionally listen to streaming music through Spotify. I don't have a music server or I don't use DACs for any digital forms of music.

However, as I am growing older (almost 60), I've been thinking about making things simple and setting up digital systems. Also, even though it is not lossless, I feel that music from Spotify is getting better recently.

I have a dedicated HT and 2 channel system. I have OPPO 105D and Esoteric UZ1. (Also 5 turntables.) 

So, how would I start? I don't have a budget set yet so it would be tough for you to give any concrete advice, but I'd like to hear about basic and simple pathways to setup a decent digital systems.  

128x128ihcho

Showing 1 response by mahler123

OP

Essentially you need a streamer/DAC combination.  You probably want one that allows you to rip CDs, but experiment with a streaming service such as Tidal or Qobuz.  If the sound quality is adequate then don’t bother to digitalize your lps; if not then do so.  You can either get storage built into the streamer or if you feel competent enough to handle a NAS, then you can stream music to all the systems you use.

For the vinyl end of things, I guess I would sell off a couple turntables…