Where do you buy Hubbell wall socket?

Can't afford the Wattagate 381 so settling for the hospital grade Hubbell in the 20 amp wall socket (model number 8300-I). Where can you point me to the cheapest online seller? Thanks
nex

Showing 3 responses by doug28450

Most any electrical supply store will carry them or can order for you. You may not be able to get them at a Home Depot/Menards/Lowes. Look in the Yellow Pages under Electrical Supply. I got mine for about $10 and yes they are the hospital grade. The Hubbell model number is 8300 and it comes in most colors to match your existing outlets. Wiring is easy. Here it is, step-by-step: 1. Turn off the circuit at the breaker box. 2. Remove the screw between the two receptacles and take the cover plate off. 3. Unscrew the screws at the to and bottom of the receptacle. They will not come off the receptacle, so when the receptacle is loose in the box and the screws are loose from the box go to step 4. 4. Pull the receptacle out of the box. BE CAREFUL. If you yank or pull too hard you run the risk of stripping wires and may cause a short when you turn the breaker back on. If this happens you will probably hve to pull new wire to the box. 5. There should be three wires attached to the receptacle. They are; White (or other color), black and color. White is always hot and black is always ground. The white and black are attached near the vertical center of the receptacle. The earth ground (other colored wire) is usually attached at a corner of the receptacle. 6. Loosen the three screws that attach the wires to the receptacle and free the wires from the receptacle. Again BE CAREFUL. If you are overzealous you may break the wires. Then you have to strip insulation. If you do this there is a strip gauge on the receptacle that shows how much insulation to strip. 7. Reattach the three wires to the new receptacle. On the receptacle it tells where each color wire goes. 8. Gently push the receptacle back into the box. Tighten the top and bottom screws and replace the cover plate. 9. Turn the power back on at the circuit breaker box, plug your Hi-Fi back in and enjoy. A couple of notes: After you have tightened the wire screws on the new receptacle it is a very, very good idea to wrap electrical tape around the receptacle over the wire screws. Most all electricians do this, so yours probably is wrapped now and you will see what I mean. Take your time, it's not hard and by all means if you are unsure STOP and get help. Good Luck. Thanks Doug
You guys are right about the wiring. I apologize, it was late last night and I was in a hurry. The most important thing is that the wires go on the new receptacle the same way they came off the old. The hot (black) could be red, blue or some other color. Just match the colors. Thanks, Doug
Phild, Tubegroover is on the right path. Bottom line is, if your panel does not have breakers you should call an eletrician.