Where do I start-amp or speakers ?

While in the midst of downsizing I sold all my gear: Krell monos, Thiel CS6’s, Thiel 2.4’s, EAD Powermaster 2000, Thiel MCS1, etc.
I am now left with a headphone system based on the entry level Schitt headphone amp, Freya preamp,& a very nice Vinyl NIrvana Thorens 125 turntable,
So how’s that working out for you, you ask? Not so well. I need speakers & amp!
 I went from 2900 sq ft. To 1600 sq ft; a 25x24 room to an 18 x 16 room (high 20-24 ft cathedral ceiling, though, at least.)
I’m now on the way to build a new system , one component at a time; Ceiling is 4K per unit. Every time I see a nice amp, then I see a fine pair of speakers. Back and forth. Do I start with an amp or with speakers? Input, input........
michaeljbrown
The Krell/Thiel combo is very nice. I had the Krell FPB-300 paired with the Thiel CS3.7 speakers and it sounded ideal to me. This is also an affordable combo, as you can get this pairing on the resale market for $8K - $9K. 
My two cents is that the amp / speaker combo should really be seen as one unit.  In fact to take it to its conclusion then go for Active Speakers.  You lose some flexibility, (not good) but you gain perfect integration (good) and you lose speaker cables (good).  Still, to answer the OP: I think the consensus is that speakers have more influence on the sound than other components so I would give them priority.
A wise saying is "begin with the end in mind".  So purchase items that will add up to the system you want, even though with moist of us that  can be a moving target.
This is all just opinion, so everyone will have a different answer.

There are opinions here...BUT for many who have posted, there is experience and the learning acquired, then applied and subsequently shared -- which hopefully goes beyond being purely opinion.

I adopted the 'speakers first' convention and orthodoxy when I first started out in this hobby of ours. I recently again followed this convention (so l am guilty of not following my own thinking and position on this). It has forced me to make decisions in the reverse...so this is forefront for me and apropos.  

I do not believe that speaker first is necessarily the best way in. And before I cause too much excitement, I also happen to believe that there are no firm rules in this area. Let me repeat that: There are no firm rules in this area of discussion.

In other words, if one chooses to select a speaker and then build a system around it, that is absolutely fine.

However, if one were to ask me how to start building a system, I would in most cases advise to start upstream. I have had much more of a source first approach which has been overtaken with a Power First position (whether at the front end of the system or for each individual component or system wide). This is within a system wide framework and context-- in other words, consider the whole.

I'd like to encourage thoughtful reflection of the minority position (contra speakers first) and it is not meant as a challenge. The majority of posts here are speaker first and that's normally the path discussed whenever this type of topic comes up. The points below are to raise questions and to reflect - not challenge.

You could buy a great 35 Watt/Channel tube amp but it won't do you much good if you later decide you want a big pair of planars or electrostats.

This is but one side of the equation. If you take this position, then the other side of the equation is equally relevant. For example, buy Maggies or Thiels and then "but it won't do you much good if you later decide you want a" 2A3 SET amp....

No question... Speakers First !

No Question At All?

For example:

- Speakers are more colored than any other component

- There are far more differences between speakers

Speakers, always speakers. ....absolutely the least "accurate" component in any system (well, some SET's...). Speakers are all colored to some extent, find what you like there first, then move on.

Ask the question: Do I want to build backwards from the weakest link or move forward from the strongest?

You'll tie your hands behind your back if you buy the amp first.

Bondage by amplification? Handcuffed to the Speaker Outputs? : )

As Ralph @atmasphere  has pointed out there are far more speaker options available than amplification options. Copying his full post, in response to "If you start with the amp,...." to revisit the point:

If you start with the amp, you may have to work with speakers you don't like.
A quick look at the industry shows that there are at any time at least ten times as many manufacturers of speakers as there are amps, so its likely that the above statement isn't completely true.

IOW if you know what sort of amp you like, the chances are much higher that you can find a speaker you like to go with it than the other way 'round.

I'll add that it is far easier to rotate speakers through one's optimized or optimal system (and Room) to find a great pairing and that this is much easier and much clearer to determine, than doing so in the reverse. 

I also believe you are better off with high quality, exceptional components and good speakers (rather than exceptional speakers). Exceptional speakers are more dependant on exceptional gear. These are of course generalizations.... made here to point out impact and weighting within the system.

I'll close with repeating that there are no firm rules and those who choose speakers first (which is most of you) are in no way making a mistake or are wrong. 

In an earlier post I said that if there is a speaker one is in love with, go for it...same holds true for amplification or any other component or part of your system.