Where did you buy your first audio gear?

I bought my first audio gear in a Post Exchange PX store in Baumholder Germany. I was a young soldier about 20 yrs old and bought a SAE amp and Preamp, Bose 901 speakers, Sony CDP-101 CD player and a Thorens TD 320 turntable. Where did you buy your first audio gear? What did you get?

128x1282psyop

Small hifi storefront on Valley Road in South Orange, New Jersey.  Don't remember the name.  Became a pet store a few years later.

I walked past this store every day going to high school.  The window display fascinated me.  I saved up my lunch money for over a year and bought a Fisher 3 piece system with turntable built into the top of a receiver, plus 2 speakers -- midfi at best.  Cost a whopping $300.

Sophomore year at CWRU in Cleveland Heights, OH, 1974: Dynaco SCA80 from a mail order firm in Maryland, I think. An AR-XA turntable and a pair of AR-4xa speakers from Coventry Audio in Cleveland Heights.  Sounded great in my dorm, being fed a steady stream of LPs from Record Revolution, which just closed up shop after 55 yrs!