Where can one purchase lead shot for speakers?

Hi,

I'm putting together a new system and just purchased a pair of Von Schweikert VR4jrs. They will arrive in about a week so I am trying to prepare everything for their arrival. This is the first pair of speakers that I will own that take lead shot to improve their bass. I have no idea where to even start looking for a place to purchase the shot. Can anybody tell me where I might find some? I live on the Big Island of Hawaii and I'm really hoping to be able to buy it locally as opposed to having it shipped in since it would be very costly to do so.

Thanks,

Bill
thebclshow
I agree 100% that lead is not a safe material. Radiation isn't either, but millions of people get X-rays every day. I'm just trying to point out that in such a small dose, the lead will do nothing to harm you by using it in your speakers or stands. On the other hand if lead were outlawed and not made available anymore, then we'd be forced to find a substitute. As it stands now, lead shot can either sit in Wal Mart, or it can sit in my speaker stands. It's an excellent dampening material. In closing, I never said there weren't lots of people who wouldn't buy my speakers because they were lead filled. I just made it known that I didn't have any problem selling them because of it.
Kenyonbm,

I'm glad you want the world to be a better place and respect your determination.
This is a discussion and as you present your opinion I present mine.

Placing restrictions and limitations without proof only hurts. Just because their are government regulations doesn't mean we have to drink the cool-aid and not challenge them from time to time.

In this instance, these regulations and opinions hurt people who have lead filled stands and speakers and wont be able to sell them or have to sell them at a reduced price, due to statemts like yours or for people who want the freedom of choice to purchase lead shot for ammo,speakers and stand damping.

The US (CDC and EPA) or you cant provide any statistics on people getting sick or dying from lead filled stands or speakers or handling ammo.

I have checked the stats, facts and figures and in fact the incidents for sickness are so low that its not even documented for ages 6 and up, their are only stats for children exposed to open lead from paint at a ratio of 64 children out of 23 million getting high enough levels to have seizures.

So you might rather peruse trying to stop people from smoking, drinking, making love, driving cars, going to the movies; more of an issue than having lead in their speakers or stands

Your goal is to make the world a better place without lead, if you want to be persuasive be ready to provide statistics to back it up, not just that their are regulations by some agency that was funded to provide jobs.

I can prove their are no reported deaths from lead poisoning based on documents from the CDC and EPA.

I'll be glad to send them to anyone who wants them

Fin
Don-s

"I don't have to cite statistics. The regulations have already been passed...."

This is where we part ways. This is an argument from authority and not discussion.

"Lead is not a common item handled by scrap companies."

This is just plain false. There is a ready cash market in a bewildering variety of scrap metal, including lead.

You might might want to look at this,

Source: United States Geological Survey
Link: http://minerals.usgs.gov/minerals/pubs/commodity/lead/

"2009" (lead )Recycling: About 1.20 million tons of secondary lead was produced, an amount equivalent to 74% of reported domestic lead consumption. Nearly all of it was recovered from old (post-consumer) scrap."

So, the recycling of 1.2 MILLION TONS of lead scrap in the US last year somehow escaped your attention.

Don_s, I suggest that overstatements and the refusal to substantiate your assertions weakens your argument.

Fin1bxn, I did not post the comments you are addressing They were posted by Don_s, addressed to me. I agree with your position.

Ken