Where are the young audiophiles?

I find it alarming that 95% of all audiophiles are seniors.According to a consultant at my local HI-FI store,young people don't seem interested in high-end equipment.They listen to music on their phone.Sooner or later, all the great neighborhood HI-FI stores will not be able to remain open. Kind of sad,don't you think?
rockysantoro
hard to spare the 4+-figure chunk of change required for this hobby, if one is struggling to pay off exorbitant student loans for non-commercially productive degree programs, while living in parents' basement. basically it is older bankers, engineers, medicos, lawyers, successful entrepreneurs who drive this hobby. working class folk like me are extreme outliers. 
theses days you can buy speakers for $100 and hook them up to your laptop that will sound as good as... well... pretty good. It's a hard sell to justify to pay 20 or 20K for a pair of speakers but not impossible...
I’m 31 and have been pursuing the hobby for 5 years or so. A big part of what got me into it was when most bands I followed starting selling physical records at their shows, that got me collecting other records and then realizing I wasn’t happy with the playback I was getting on an old Sony TT and pioneer receiver, I began to research. It has been a tremendous amount of fun. 

A lot of friends around my age are also budding audiophiles, or at least appreciate trying to get better sound than sonos or Bluetooth speakers. I live in NYC and a lot of the record shops now stock pretty decent budget audiophile gear to get people itching for some more. As others have said, if record sales are up I wouldn’t worry about this hobby dying off anytime soon. vinyl me please, which a lot of younger people use (a subscription record service) just partnered with acoustic sounds, so that should open the door to a lot of folks wanting to get more out of their equipment. 
On a somewhat related note, I haven’t been on this forum a lot recently because I was so upset with the dismissive views by some members on rap and hip hop, really made me not want to support a place where members go completely off topic of the OP and make sweeping generalizations about a genre they have little to no understanding of. If you don’t like rap that’s fine! There’s already too much obstruction in most public discourse let’s not let that sentiment seep into this forum. We should all want this to be a constructive and productive space :-) 
"...So it’s really only accessable to those upon whom God bestowed both outrageous wealth AND ears more sensitive than an oscilloscope. It’s a bit of a niche demographic, see?..."

The best part of this hobby is putting together affordable systems that sound great. I spent a lot of money learning this but you don't have to. 
Perhaps our job is to introduce the next generation to the magic, when normal times come back and the neighbors or relatives are visiting; ask some of the next generation if they've ever listened to vinyl?  If they look indifferent; just repeat "I mean really listened to music on vinyl."

Now its time to spin a record, most anything will do. The point is you're not introducing, lyrics, a beat or an artist.  You're introducing a dynamic, a new experience. 

The hobby will follow.  I have two nephews and one nice who are working on their first home 2 channel systems.  Of course my daughter loves vinyl; all that took was playing Adel's 19 (on vinyl).  The proof, she forgets to turn off my turntable and doesn't always put records away when she comes home.  I don't really mind.