Where are the subs?

In listening to the Bach Toccata and Fugue BMV 565, I was struck by how well the organ pedal notes are reproduced since I moved my primary setup to another room. I complemented myself on a fine job of integrating the Velodyne HGS-10 subs with the KEF Ref 1s, using 40 Hz low-pass with 24 dB/octave. But as I thought about it, I didn’t recall connecting the SMS-1 bass manager to the Ayre KX-5 Twenty preamp. I checked. The subs were not connected. The Ref 1s alone where reproducing that satisfying bass. Amazing for stand mounted monitors. I sure as hell didn’t expect that. To confirm, I played the Saint-Seans 3rd Symphony. Same result. Makes me wonder if I need bother connecting the subs.
Ag insider logo xs@2xdbphd
Is there a link to Audio Kinesis Swarm installation and setup instructions?
Tim, the speakers are on the 14' wall, an HGS-15 in each corner, an HGS-10 behind each speaker.  The carpet on the wall and ceiling are for video projection, not audio.

Tony, as I understand your suggestion for Casa Dorinda the audio chain would be Sonore microRendu to Codex USB DAC to KV-5 Twenty preamp to VX-5 Twenty amp to KEF LS50s.  Or maybe the QX-5 Twenty digital hub instead of the Codex?  It takes either ethernet or USB, and I'd guess the DAC in the QX-5 might be superior, but Gary at Ayre can provide guidance on that.  The preamp feeds the SMS-1 that controls the four subs.

The Marchand is a fixed high-pass 80 Hz 4th order filter with the particular virtue of being fully balanced and passive.

db  
@dbphd, I wasn’t aware of the QX 5 Twenty having that capasbility. I would certainly go with that over the Sonore/Codex combo.

I was just on the Marchand website looking at their parametric EQ for a project. Interesting choice on the passive version. Just curious, was there a specific reason for that?
@clio09, Charles Hansen had warned against inserting the active Bryston 10B crossover between the Ayre preamp and amp, and it turned out for good reason.  The sense of the music flowing without electronic intervention was compromised.  Ayre places great emphasis on balanced circuitry and zero feedback, so I consulted Gary at Ayre who thought the fully balanced passive high-pass Marchand filter would not compromise those attributes.

I started with a stripped down setup that has neither high nor low pass, and just Roon as a source.  Are you suggesting I replace the KFE Ref 1s with LS50s for the Casa Dorinda setup -- actually, I've thought LS50s supplemented by a sub array might be a good way to go.

db