Where are Conicident Speaker Technology electronics made ?

Where are Conicident Speaker Technology electronics made ?
rost

Showing 5 responses by cal3713

I always assumed made in Canada, but like @bill_k I've seen some indications that they may be made (and also sometimes copied) in China.  I can't remember the brand, but I saw someone post an almost verbatim "copy" of a Dynamo with a Chinese face plate one time.  I suspect it was just made by the same people and sold without markup (and with some minor changes).  

I'll also note that you should take any claims made by Mr. Blume with a grain of salt.  While I've loved my Coincident gear, over the years I've found that a number of his very explicit claims are simply not true. 

For example, he once stated that no capacitors were used in the signal path of the Frankensteins, but there's a coupling capacitor right in the middle of the 6em7.  He also states that the Coincident PRE's only use the finest capacitors from Mundorf, but mine had a cheap solen instead.  He also likes to claim that he uses custom drivers in his designs, but upon contacting the manufacturer (Accuton), I learned that this was not the case.  He just blacks out the model number so you can't look up parts as easily, and then charges almost double the true part cost.

Similarly, if you look at Arthur Salvatore's reviews of Coincident gear, you'll likely find that he has some different (better) parts than the model you'll receive upon ordering... 

Love the gear, hate the approach.
@rost Don't know that I'd say that they don't maintain "tight quality control... in parts selection and assembly." 

As @brownsfan  suggests, everything in my equipment seemed well made. I did read that there were quality control issues with the remote version of the CSL line-stage, which is presumably why it was discontinued.  I do think Isreal gives Arthur Salvatore "special" gear which is essentially factory upgraded to maximize quality.  And I suppose AS deserves as much given the number of sales he's no doubt created for Coincident.  Unfortunately he ignores this fact and does things like comment on how amazing the default part selection is... leading to conclusions like those expressed in the quote above.  
@grannyring You know that's not true!  The replacement driver didn't have the model number blacked out!  Finally the additional cost makes sense... it's just a labor charge for the pulling the drivers and using the sharpie.  Obviously Mr. Blume's time does not come cheap.

So different than dealing with Thiel back in the day.  They'd send you a new driver completely free of charge, even when you bought used and the unit was way out of warranty.  I used to think that was standard in high-end.  You pay a big premium, but also get premium service.  Boy was I wrong.  
Hi all, and especially @charles1dad   

I certainly don't want to contribute to the negativity around here, but I do think that people need to be aware of the Coincident issues.  As noted above, I've been lied to multiple times by Mr. Blume.  I want to love the company based on owning the gear (I still do), but it's difficult when you get lied to and charged double for replacement parts. 

When my used PREs were damaged in shipping, I eventually had to ship them to Coincident for full repair.  $5k later (paid by the seller since since they underinsured), I got them back and eventually a midrange driver failed.  I was charged double for the accuton driver and when I went to install it, discovered that a capacitor lead was stuck to back of the black anti-resonance cutout.  That metal had been vibrating on the driver and the entire surface of the ceramic was pitted like the moon.  When I told Isreal, he claimed that having a two inch metal piece vibrating on the back would a) have no effect on the sound, and b) could not have contributed to the failed driver.  That was "accuton's issue" and they have horrible, arrogant customer service.  My cost to fix.  In fairness, I will note that I had a forced one-year move, so it'd been a year since the original fix.  Of course the only way a capacitor lead could get stuck in that cabinet was during original damage or repair, but that didn't matter at all, instead I just got charged an additional $1450 for a "custom driver."  

I guess people have to make money. 

Again, I think the gear sounds great.  And fortunately the designs/circuits are relatively straightforward, so any competent local tech should be able to repair.  And if something goes out on a speaker, you can just pull  the driver and order a replacement yourself, so I don't think the gear needs to be avoided.  And finally, I don't care at all if it is made in China.  

Not trying to contribute to the negativity, but the truth is the truth.  
@charles1dad Regarding AS's review pieces, I don't know that he purposefully gets different pieces, but you can see his Franks' stock caps here:  http://www.high-endaudio.com/RC-Frankenstein.html.  He's got a Solen FEP/SN coupling cap and a Solen SCR FEP decoupling cap.  My newer Franks (made in 2015) had significantly lower value Solens in both positions.  Either AS gets better parts or over time Blume has started using lower quality parts in the amps, who knows.  

Also, please hang in there through the general negativity on the site.  I miss the older days, but you're such a great resource to this place.  Despite the above issues, I'm so happy that you have recommended Coincident gear, your ears have so improved my music experience.  Sorry again for contributing to the negative atmosphere, I just think people should know the truth of the situation.