When your system gets a cold

Over a period of time 5-7 weeks my system has become increasingly bright without any changes on my part. I thought maybe its because Im just getting used to my system and its the critical listener in me. My girlfriend also has noticed loud passages had become harsh on CD and Vinyl too. We changed speaker placement and tone controls on speakers but not much difference. I even lowered the VTA on tonearm. I then took out my KCAG cables and put my old copper Tara lab cables in. Its helped a little with the harshness but with loss of detail and smearing of images in the lower freq. I then put my KCAGs back into my cable cooker for 5 days and burnt them in good. To back up. When I got my silver cables 10 years ago they sounded a tad harsh even after burning in for 24 hours. Then I burned them in a solid week!!! All the harshness was gone and no detail was lost! I also cleaned all connections thoroughly and retreated with Walkers SST silver contact treatment. I also turned up the freq on my Power regenerator to 105 hz from 60hz and turned down voltage to 112 from 117 default. My system sounds great now. A lot of enjoyment was lost but now I look forward to each and every listening session. Now what made my system get shrill? I have some theories. 1. Static had creeped into my cables. 2. The SST treatment had got old and by not cleaning my connections for several years. 3. When I unplugged cables the static went away. 4. Reburning in cables made the difference. I have read you should unplug everything for a while every month to prevent static. My girlfriend is a critical listener as well and listens with me 90 percent of the time. She has also heard these changes. I have a PS 1000 regenerator with clean sweep and multiwave but cant use these because of it keeps blowing fuses so I use the other settings instead. I did use a clean sweep 2 weeks ago with benefits but it blew a fuse after I used it several times. I sent it back 2 years ago to factory they said it tested fine on bench. Anyway I also have A Bryston 14 BSST 600 watt amp, Adcom GFP 750 preamp, Acoustech PH1-P phono preamp,Sony SCD XA5400ES CD player, Acoustic Signiture final tool TT with platter upgrade, Graham 2.2 tonearm, Benz wood S cartridge. And Nak dragon, Tandberg 3014A, HK CD491 and Nak 700II are my decks. Id like to hear your opinions and has anybody else came to these same conclusions about static and its affects on electronic equipment? Id say give yourself a cheap upgrade and unplug everything. Mike
128x128blueranger

Showing 1 response by jeffb28451

Glad I'm not just imagining this. My system is quirky to the point where it sometimes everything sounds like Peter Gabriels pressings (love the music, just sounds like they were mixed in a Sunbeam Mixmaster) and other times it's as it should be for $XX,XXX invested. Gryphon antimag works sometimes, break in discs, static reducers sometimes work. Likes voltages at 123, hates 121, but sometimes sounds terrible at 123. Lowthers don't like humidity changes, sometimes that's it. Over $10,000 in really good filtration in front of system...most times I just turn it off and it's in a better mood in a day or two.

I haven't figured it out yet, I just accept it as a strange fact that I don't discuss with non-audiophile friends, since they already have their doubts about my little hobby.