When will a 60"+ true 1080P plasma be available?

Hello,

I am waiting for a 60"+ true 1080P plasma to build a home theater around.

Does anyone know when one of these will be available? I see that Pioneer is releasing a 50" one this summer...
goatwuss
Why not just go with a projector that will yield a much better picture and probably the same if not at a lower cost? IMO no plasma can even come close to a CRT or a projector in all aspects. Just my two cents.
There will be a Panasonic 65inch 1080p plasma, and a 50 inch Pioneer. The only 1080p plasmas I know off. The panasonic should come out at the end of summer for around $10k retail
check out the NEC thread over at www.avsforum.com

Punch in 61xr4 at the main avsforum search engine.
Jlind325is -

Your recommendation is like someone asking about a sedan and you recommending a hummer.

How do you know there's room in my driveway?

There isn't, btw.
I could see how my comment could of come off bad, im sorry. I just assumed if you had room for a 60" plasma display you might have room for a projector. I wasnt thinking a 110" screen but somthing smaller. I second the look at NEC's, they are the best plasma i have seen. Once again i apologize, i just dont like plasmas.
UncleJeff - I'm a little confused about your post.

Does the NEC 61xr4 have a true 1080P input, and can it display true 1080P output?

thanks
There is not yet a plasma that can display true 1080p but some of them can receive a 1080p signal and then convert it to 720p. The bigger question is how long do you want to wait? There will always be some gimmick coming down the pike worth waiting for. I waited until DVI became very common and then I waited a bit more to get a unit that will at least acccept 1080p so that I can watch it when the next generation DVDs come out. Having waited so long for this I now have to worry about HDMI which does not bother me as I chose to continue to run my audio seperate so I don't need qudio piggy-backed along with the video. While not true 1080p, it will be spectacular. To answer your first question there is speculation that 1080p will be available in plasmas perhaps by December. Obvioulsy they are vague about this as they don't want to be producing obsolete units in the meantime that might not sale.

Hey goat, I just noticed you took my advice and visited the NEC thread. While the answers they gave are much like mine it looks like they said it better. I hope we were of some help.

So, is it worth the wait? Perhaps, if you are where I was a couple years ago. I have decided to forgo the proverbial two birds in the bush and enjoy the 50XM5 NEC plasma sitting on my wall which is truly awesome.

One more point, should you decided to wait. I care not to wait out the upcoming war between the two formats while the manufacturers work on de-bugging the new 1080p format in their haste to keep up in the market.
Unclejeff - Thanks for the helpful response!

Yes, I did check out avsforum, but I find it very scary over there. The threads are enourmous, the color scheme is not what I would call inviting, and the page layout is not what I would call simple... but regardless...

Does the NEC 61XR4 accept a 1080P signal via DVI? What about the 61XM4? I'm having trouble finding this out, and also having trouble finding out what the difference between these 2 models is.
Jlind325is - No worries. Certainly there are tradeoffs between the plasmas and projects, and I can certainly see a projector based system as being applicable at some point. But to do a projection system well, you need a room with very controlled lighting, which I don't have. The other thing is that the use of this potential plasma is just as much for casual TV watching and playing video games as it is for movies. Given the necessary periodic bulb replacement for the projectors, it doesn't make sense to leave it on all day to watch the price is right and maury, when really their intended use is for movies.

So while I will agree with you that plasmas can't touch a high quality projection system in terms of absolute picture quality, the logistical situation that I am dealing with mandates a smaller, simpler solution.
As a photographer I read over and over about projectors and how superior they are. I have seen dozens of them and to me, they are all lacking in brightness when compared to LCD or CRT direct view (and even LCD projection).

Are there models I've missed or does everyone just accept this limitation and enjoy as is?
Goat, go back to the NEC thread where you just posted and ask that question. I can say that the difference between the 50XM5 and the 50XR5 in terms of inputs is that the 50XM5 has a DVI input that right now could at least accept the 1080p while the 50XR5 has two HDMI inputs, neither of which can at this time accept 1080p. I can't speak for the 61 inch, but they can over at AVSFORUM in 'The New NEC Thread'. The 50 inch was what I bought as it fits to the same proportion of most HD Movies and I didn't think the extra 5 inches on either side was worth the disproportionate cost. As I said earlier I am first more into audio and I care not at all for HDMI, even though this seems to be the upcoming thing.
The dealers I deal with in the DC area say that the Pioneer Elite 1080P 50" plasma will be released this May. In fact the specs and preliminary price are shown on the Pioneer web page.
September 2005. Panasonic 65 inch. Industrial commericial model may price at 7500. Consumer will be 9000.
Talk2Me

I will talk to you.

This is a very important concept, and it is hard to find clear facts anywhere without being clouded by peoples' opinions.

First off is the number. 1080 vs 720. 1080 refers to a resolution of 1920 x 1080. That is 1920 pixels horizontally, and 1080 pixels vertically. 720 is 1280 x 720. If you are familliar with computer monitor resolutions then you will understand how HUGE a difference in resolution this is. There are people who will say "...but this doesn't matter because you don't sit as close to your TV..." But think about this and make a personal decision about it.

Now as for the letter, p vs i. p = progressive, i = interlaced.

Progressive = Every single refresh of your TV's image, you get the full, complete image without anything strange going on.

Interlaced = At any given 16-millisecond period of time, you will only be seeing half of the given frame. You will only be seeing the even lines, or the odd lines of the image. 60 times per second, the even and the odd swap, creating the illusion that the full image is there the whole time.

So - what do you think? Do you think your eye and brain can tell that you are watching an interlaced picture?
i'm also in the market for a plasma...the room has been treated and would love to have a nice 50" 1080p plasma for the wall...for me, the plasma is the better choice aesthetically for my small room...never heard of the nec's-think i'll look into them, but love the panasonics...brent
i have a panasonic 50" (th-50phd8) which accepts 1080p. at 1366x768 resolution, its not true 1080p.

if u r looking for picture quality (given your search for 1080p), i suggest using an external video processor/scaler (dvdo vp30 @ $2000) with a 60" plasma panel that accepts hdmi/dvi-d input. all panasonics have hdmi/dvi-d as an optional board.

i'm upgrading my video processor (kramer) to the dvdo vp30 and have tested the dvdo hd+ model with stunning results (on 720p & 1080p). i mainly watch satellite tv and very little dvd. i'm told hdmi (digital) is a step up from component (progressive analog). my equipment should arrive in a few weeks...
Cics - Why spend $2Gs on an external processor, when 1080P displays will be coming out in a couple of months, eliminating the need for scaling (assuming 1080P inputs of course)?

My cable box is 1080i, so the only thing a true 1080P dispaly would need to do is the de-interlacing, which I would hope you don't need a $2k processor to do competantly.
its amazing what difference an external processor will do for picture quality and this gets better with quality input (in your case 1080i).

panasonic's latest internal video processor doesn't come close to what the DVDO is able to do. i would suggest you at least test it on a plasma. my take on this is that plasma and other display devices do not have advanceed image processing capabilities (noise reduction, color management, sharpness, detail, etc).

the difference is very clear on live sport. my sattelite feed to the processor is RGBs (the equivalent to component).
Cics - Yes, this is interesting input. So if I am to understand you correctly, you are saying that the processsor does much more than just converts the resolution?

As of right now, the 3 brands of plasma that interest me are the Pioneer, NEC, and Panasonic. I like the color reproduction better on the Pios and the NECS then the panasonics.

Have you tested this processor either a near-current or current model Pioneer or NEC?

I would love to test it on a plasma, however that requires somehow obtaining one. Would any b&m vendors in the boston area have one for me to try? Or is the only way to test it to buy it, and then try and deal with the return policy if its improvements are marginal or null?

thasnk
thats a definite yes on video processors going beyond scaling.

i've tested this with panasonic and lg plasmas only and in both cases picture improves handsomely. pioneer and nec are very good plasmas and i suspect pioneer to have better video processing. nonetheless, when you plug in a video processor, you should get a much bigger improvement.

check out dvdo's website for a dealer in your area (www.dvdo.com). local dealer here brought an hd+ to my home for a test. if you want to go big on this you should try faroudja. but this is not necessary as dvdo's latest top model (vp30) should come close.

definitely don't buy one - as i'm sure a dealer would be very willing to demo the stuff first.