When using VPI 16.5 - how do you

distribute the fluid - dribble it? And, how many times do you scrub (rotations)?

I'm new to this, but using the standard VPI fluid and brush my worst records sound better and my best records sound nearly perfect.

I'm mid-way through the bottle and am thinking of replenishing with Art du Son as it has gotten good press, but my dealer recommends Nitty Gritty fluid.

Any and all suggestions will be carefully read and appreciated.
joe_in_seattle

Showing 1 response by dogface1956

I squirt the cleaning fluid on my Disc Doctor cleaning brushes, than apply the wet brush to the LP, I usually scrub for about 1 to 2 minutes depending on how dirty the LP is then vacuum for two to three revolutions (static electricty is not a problem where I live). I am not a big fan of the VPI brush and prefer the Disc Doctor brushes I think they get into the grooves better. A couple important notes, you need to clean the vacuum tube Velvet lips after every cleaning session (I usually clean it after every 6 or so records) and don't forget to clean your brush after every session. I also have two mats one that I use for side one and after side one is clean, I put the other mat on to clean side two (It does not make sense to me to put the side you just cleaned onto a mat that just had the dirty side on it)

As far as cleaning fluid I have tried VPI, Nitty Gritty, Super Cleaners II (which I think the the Nitty Gritty wash), Disc Doctor Miracle Wash, Disc Doctor Quick Wash and Record Research Super Vinyl and Super Deep Washes. For the most part I would be hard pressed to tell the difference between any of them. However, for regular cleaning I use the Disc Doctor Quick Wash and for records that I purchase on eBay or at Thrift stores I use the Record Research Super Vinyl and Super Deep cleaners. My gut tells me that it really does not matter which fluid you use, that the wet cleaning is the main thing, just get the gunk out of the grooves.

Hope this helps,

Jeff