When to recap?

I have a McIntosh MC 2200 amp. Production to the best of my knowledge is the mid to late 70s. I love the sound of this amp, and it will be a keeper for me for quite some time.

This is one of the oldest pieces of gear I own. So my question is, should I consider taking it in to get all the capacitors replaced? My fear is neglecting to do that, and then it will cost me all that much more. (Plus I'll be out of an amp the entire time it will be repaired)

Is this fear unfounded? Again, I plan to keep this amp for quite sometime. Thanks in advance for any suggestions and advice.
brad34695

Showing 1 response by brad34695

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Based on the consensus, I called a McIntosh service center that is about 40 miles from me. I have a Saturday morning appointment with one of their technicians to bench test the amp. The tech told me he does not subscribe to the theory of replacing everything. According to him, that's just a ploy for income purposes. I thanked him for his honesty.

He informed me by bench testing the amp, he'll be able to tell what should be replaced. A lot of what he told me over the phone was a little "Greek" to me, but I recall him emphasizing the importance to make sure the output transformers are functioning properly.

I'll post his findings after meeting with him. Thanks again all!!