When spending less than $5,000 how much of a guide is price?

When spending less than $5,000 for a set of speakers, how much of a guide is price? This question arises out of my current search for a new set of speakers.

Don’t know if anyone here is aware of the massive fire in Fort McMurray Alberta and surrounding area? Well I work there (fortunately don’t live there), was evacuated, and will be off work indefinately.

As a result I reduced my speaker budget to $1,500 (Canadian). I’m quite intriqued by Totem Acoustic’s Arro and Sttaf, and some used Zu Audio.

There is a demo Sttaf with a minor crack in the veneer available for $1,500. There is a used Zu Essence and Zu Omen Def available for approx the same amount. The Zu’s are 5 years old.

So I have available these speakers, well reviewed, thoughtfully and carefully built. But even though the price I can purchase them at is roughly the same, new the price differential is great.

The Sttaf new is $2,200. Five years ago the Zu’s would have been about $1,000 more new (at least).

Does this matter?
128x128jimspov

Showing 2 responses by sbank

Those speakers are so different in almost every way, really quite far apart in nature. Have you heard these models before? 

In very broad strokes, the Totems are nice for small rooms if you appreciate midrange accuracy and don't expect much low frequency or dynamics. If electronica or power symphonies are your favs, not the speakers for you. 

OTOH, The Zus are very lifelike and captivating to some listeners and totally off key to others, more a "love it or hate it" reaction is common compared to many speakers. I've heard their more expensive models sound both amazing and horribly matched. IMHO, try before you buy.  Cheers,
Spencer
Reference 3A has a very long standing reputation for fine monitors in particular. Their Veena & Grand Veena floorstanders also are beloved by many. Seen some used ones here regularly probably because they can be a little light on the bottom end. You could always add subs if you feel the need. Cheers,
Spencer