When showing your system to others, what do you do

When you guys demo your system to a hifi virgin whats your procedure? Do you ask musical tastes first before the first song? Do you first play somthing that you feel best demonstrates your gears abilities? and then have them pick somthing out? If they bring some of their own music do you throw that on first? Im curious as to what your opinions are. Since we(the audiophiles) are showing our friends hifi for the first time its our responsibility to make it great, right? I have alwaysed played somthing i pick first to let them relax and adjust and then ask what they want to hear, or put their music on. I have never had someone leave and say that was not enjoyable but im sure i could make the experience more enjoyable. Any comments you have will be much appreciated. thanks
jlind325is

Showing 6 responses by jlind325is

Thanks guys for all the suggestions. I, like most of you dont mention prices cause we always get the look. the look like im crazy for spending what i did and yet they say they wouldnt mind having it in their home.

So have any of you converted anyone? doomed them to a life of actually listening to music? or do they just come back to your place and listen?
Ferrari-Im confused about your post. Are you joking saying dollars spent is the way to determine a good system or do you feel thats how it should be measured? When i invite a person over to expereince my system im not trying to wow them with what i spent, im trying to wow them with a higher sonic experience then they have ever heard. For me its opening peoples ears to what music can sound like. Im sure the systems youve heard over the years have been more than impressive, so it would be a humbling expereince. But ive heard a $600,000 system, not including room cost that i would never trade for mine. it just wasnt musical, it was more about the benjamins spent. For me its the music, dollars spent is exactly opposite of what hifi is about IMHO. But to each his own. Cheers
thanks for the clarifiaction Ferrari, i understand where your coming from now. I would like to say that my system is by no means at the point where i wouldnt trade it for anything. I just wouldnt trade it for that mega bucks(in my opinion) system i heard. So 600k for speaker cables, you got any pics or descriptions of those bad boys? When i saw/heard Transparent Opus MM speaker cables i thought that was near the top, i guess i was wrong lol. I would love to hear about some of the vinyl rigs these people are running if you have any info on those too. thanks
I must of not asked my question right to begin with. Plain and simple i wanted to know what fellow A'goners did when having newbies listen. People who could care less about audio until finally hearing somthing other than their wave radios or ipods. Not showing off, not bragging just the thrill of good music. hoping to open the door if you will for these unfortunate souls.
Stickwork-glad to hear you enjoyed my thread!

Sdatch-i have always worried that when im about to demo my rig a tube will go or the amp will go tits up. Nothing has happened yet but that one time when it does, that will be a definate blow to my ego. lol
Thanks for all the suggestions and comments everybody. i am working on my first convert right now, we will see if he bites on it or keeps swimming.