When does SACD make sense - my theory

I purchased a SACD player a few weeks ago. Sony SCD-C555ES. Also purchased about 15 SACDs.
Tried Kind of Blue by Miles Davis and compared to my vinyl. Vinyl was better. Tried the new Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd from 2003 and compared to vinyl. Vinyl also better.

My thinking is that Vinyl will always better from old stuff that was captured on Analog and mixed for Analog/Vinyl. Never purchase SACDs with 50s, 60 and 70s music. Rather focus on the period when the CD was young, the recordings were captured digitally and now need a major re-mixing to sound good.

My theory.
1. When there is vinyl it will always be better than SACD
2. SACD players do good job on CDs too. My a couple of years old CDs sound at least as good as when I played them on my previous Rega Planet. Consequently, do not replace a few years old CDs with a SACD version. Very small difference.
3. Replace early CDs - 80s and early 90s, before the figured out the technology that are very cold sterile recordings that will sound much better in SACD.
Looking forward to everyone's comments.
dcaudio

Showing 4 responses by kana813

I certainly hope you're right about Mr.Meitner's magic moving downstream.

Thanks for sharing your list.

Look forward to some feedback after you get the 6.
If it takes $15K worth of playback equipment to hear "everything SACD can do," then the format is doomed
to failure.

But the bigger problem is, they're not making it easy to
find SACDs. How many record stores have you been in with SACDs on display? The Borders I shop at has none.
Rsbeck- Glad to hear it so easy to find SACDs on the mainland. And thanks for tip on www.music-direct.com. I prefer to buy directly from record labels like Concord & Telarc.

It wouldn't take 10 years to decide the format war. HT will
dictate the battle not Hiend audio. I don't have $15K invested in any digital format, so I real don't care who wins, but just for fun, I'll put my money on DVD...what would you like to wager?

Since this is a music forum and you own a lot of SACDs,
how about sharing some of your favorite SACDs.
Rsbeck- DAC6 was it worth the wait and how does it compare
to your old sony on redbook?