When did you start to love music and why?

My story is short but in 1962 our family lived on military housing in France. My folks purchased a Grundig tube console stereo and loved playing music with friends. This was my introduction to music. Interestingly when the Grundig (German made)stereo broke down we called for a French repairman. All he could do was cuss as he tried to make repairs. Finally he gave up and said only a german repairman could fix it.

I personally think that music is like a time machine and can instantly transport you back to a time and place but just as important it can be exciting and or relaxing.

phd

Showing 3 responses by gz3827

In my case it wasn't live music that stimulated my interest, it was recorded music right from the get go. My father, who was born in 1910 may he rest in peace, was actually a bit of an audiophile before the term was probably even coined. I remember he was the first in our very middle class neighborhood to buy a console Zenith stereo, which was the cat's meow at the time in the mid-50s. I grew up listening to Nat King Cole and others of that era playing on vinyl. Then, in the late 50s, my father went a step further and bought an Ampex reel-to-reel tape recorder with portable speakers (this thing looked like a set of luggage) and started making his own mix tapes of what he had on vinyl. This was so that he could play DJ whenever my parents got together to party with their circle of friends, which was just about every Saturday night. Whoever hosted provided the booze (believe me they all drank like fish but only on Saturday nights), and my ‘DJ dad’ always provided the music. As a kid, I remember hanging out with him, watching and kibitzing whenever he made his tapes. Within a few years, like any good audiophile, he got the upgrade fever again. Out went the Ampex and in came a higher end Sony reel-to-reel that I recall cost around a thousand bucks, not exactly chump change for the early 60s. That Sony got a lot of use. I’ve often wondered whatever became of it. To this day, I still enjoy listening to Nat King Cole.
Hey Phd … I’m always happy to be grandfathered in so I’m certainly not complaining. But truth be told, I did already contribute ‘my story’ earlier. I guess it didn’t make much of an impression, but whaddya want? The competition here is fierce, LOL!

First prize so far definitely goes to Sfar. When I read “My bedroom was in a coverted porch that wasn't connected to the rest of the house” I just about lost it. Then came “the empty West Texas sky,” and I did lose it! The “whacko” preachers and the absence of classical music were just icing on the cake.

For better or worse, reading the other real life ‘confessions’ in this thread have reminded me of some of what I had either lost to failing memory (like those little red plastic transistor radios that all the kids coveted) or repressed on purpose (who wouldn’t want to forget Mitch Miller and his “bouncing balls”?). And no thanks to Lowrider bringing up Mitch and Ray, I am now being haunted by other long forgotten sights and sounds that have crept back into my consciousness (Lawrence Welk waving his baton to “a one, and a two, and a …” not to mention that auditory sedative and elevator music pioneer, Mantovani).

In 50 years I wonder what they’ll be writing about what’s produced today? Look out Miley Cyrus!