whats your idea of loud music.

ok here' what got me thinking about all of this.

i was in a dealers show room a while back checking out his ar monoblocks(sweet)& he put some smooth jazz on for me,the maggies sounded fantastic & i asked him to turn it up to a loud volume so i could see how the maggies responded.

after he gave me a stupid look he turned it up a notch & then stepped away & covered his ears like they might rupture or something & were talking about the volume being at the point where i could of heard him fart from 5 feet away,i asked him why he wouldnt turn it up loud & he told me that he wasnt sure what i thought loud was but the volume he had was more than enough for anybody.

i also see threads where guys reccomend these low power amps that i have owned with speakers i have owned & they say that the amp speaker combination can obtain listening levels that are not only louder than anybody would care to listen but unsafe levels to boot & when i had the same gear i thought the combination was way under powered & no where near being loud.

i consider loud to be when you can feel as well as hear the music & not from sitting right in front of the rig,i also consider loud to be when things on the walls move & my coffee cup has a little ripple on top of the coffee or when the dog runs for cover,i also consider it to be not loud if somebody in the same room can talk to you from 5 feet away & be heard.

im not looking for a right or wrong answer im just curious as to what other guys consider loud to be defined as.

mike.
128x128bigjoe
Using a Radio Shack sound level meter I feel average (not peak) DB levels over 90db from listening position are loud.

Comfortable music listening levels average 80-85db for me.

If listening levels need to be lower than 75-80db I switch to headphones.
Big Joe I think you are 100% right on here. I like it loud. I keep a rat shak db meter in my listening space so 90-100 db I am generally happy. Above 105 and I can get uncomfortable but play it at that level sometimes, I would say that is pretty loud. One very good buddy shares my taste and thinks the same way. I have been doing this for 30 years so I should be stone deaf if my hearing was damaged each time someone told me it was dangerous. Like growing hair where you don't want it, the loss of high frequency hearing is a natural aging process. I really don't mind soft music mind you when I am not really concentrating on the music. I just had some Sunday morning Jazz on to see what the content of the recording was (the new Monk and Coltrane) at probably 80db in an adjacent room. That was fine. I can still hear the sonic differences of different systems as well as the next guy.
I've always considered loud to be when I start having trouble hearing myself talk.

I've never run into a conservative dealer. The good ones set you up in a room by yourself and let you have at it solo.
Loud to me includeds the predominant volume level, not the transients. My usual listening level is between 75 and 85 db with peaks to 110. My equipment includes 4x1000 watts to power the 4 15" subwoofers. I'm told that the speakers are 99 db efficient.

So, I figure I'm using about 1-2 watts out of the 4600.

I do sometimes like to play LOUD!!!

That's more like 100-110 db with peaks to 150 db.

We had Sousa and those KODO people in the room recently an it's emotional. It's like being on the field of a big college football game with the 100 person marching band.

Great music = moderate listening levels
Fun music = Loud listening
Drunk listening = what was I talking about?
I must be somewhere in the middle of the loudness preference scale.
Went to a dealer and was able to listen to some Wilson Audio Maxx speakers. The sales guy wouldn't turn the volume up enough for me to experience any of the bass slam and dynamics I know the speakers have to be capable of..He said they actually are playing louder than they seem because they do not distort. There may be some truth to that but I wanted to feel some of the energy but, noooo.
Then on the other hand I was invited to go listen to a nice fellows system that had some Revel Salons with Meridian and Levinson gear. He played the music so loud I thought my brain would explode. Owwwch! I kept reaching for the remote. I could not hear a word he said the whole time we were listening and he sat only about 4 feet away.
I do like to feel the music a bit, dynamics, bass and drums and such.
But no screeming stuff and if it's going to be loud no harsh garbage please!