Whats more important, source cables or amp cables?

I'd like to save some time demo'ing my own system for hours and get some experts to tell me what to do. What's most important, the cable between the source and the pre-pro, or the pre-pro and the amp(s). Does it make more difference in the sound to place my better pair of XLRs before or after the pre. I have a small Krell system, DVD Std, HTS 7.1, and 2250/3250 KAVs. I asked Krell and he told me they are both important, but that didn't really help since finding another pair of Crecendos is easier said than done. I have one pair, and 2 pair of Serenades, which don't suck, but from what I've read, aren't near as good as the Crecendos.

Any help or explanations would be beneficial at this point. Thanks AGers
mbarnes928

Showing 3 responses by mbarnes928

Ok so everyone besides Nismo says either they all matter or do amp to amp first... I guess I will set it up there first and then swap the better cables to the source/pre position and see if there is any difference. I also need to see if digital from the source sounds as good as pre-amp mode with the xlr's. Looks like this weekend my voicecoils are all going to stay warmed up!

Thanks again for all the input, if anyone else wants to chime in with their opinions or experience we all welcome it. :-)
Al, I have read the same as your disclaimer for hours last night, and I tend to agree with you... The weakest link should rear it's ugly head, luckily a Serenade isn't a 25 dollar Monster cable, so although it's not as good as the Crescendo, its only a notch down.

Im just not sure where to place them for best effect. I guess unless someone has some experience with a similar system, and its too subjective at this point, there isn't much to do besides swap them in and out. I also read though that some cables can take time to recover, so A/B/A isnt the best unless I want to let it play for a day or two between sampling. I will eventually get another pair of Crescendos when I can find a deal on them, but until then Id like to maximize what I have invested.
Xxqq250, I am a little nuts, but I have all Straightwire cables now Rhapsody (about 3 levels from the Crescendo), just RCAs/SWs and I am absolutely happy with them.

I like all my stuff to match, Im not a mix and match type person(too damn complicated). I do the same things in my cars I highly modify, I pick a brand I like and try to stay with all of their products throughout the build, IE Edelbrock etc.