Whats better than VTL 450 for the money?

Going to be purchasing new tube amps soon and Im leaning toward the VTL MB 450. In this price range is there anything better? I would prefer to buy new. Looking for lots of slam, fast, liquid, not overly bright, and huge 3D sound stage. Room is 13w X 8h x 35L.

Wadia 861
Supratek chennin pre
Cardas Golden Cross intercon
Kimber Bifocal XL spk cable
(2) vandersteen 2WQ subs

Speakers are up in the air but Im thinking either Vandy 3A, Vandy 5A or krell Resolution. If I end up with 5As I will sell the 2WQs but budget constraints will most likely force 3As.

Thanks
braro

Showing 1 response by downunder

I was looking for a similar big tube amp as what you are looking for. I was able to get a very good price on a demo pair of VTL MB750 ref's and had them in house for about 3 weeks. I also have VTL 7.5 pre , alas in my system I could not get them to boogie or come to life. My speakers are Vienna Mahlers which are below 3 ohms for most of the bass, however amps costing 20k should have dome a better job - I guess synergy is everything. BTW VTL's should work well with vandy's as they are consistent as far as impedance goes.
To cut a long story short, I tried out SS amps like Pass X350.5, JC-1's, Mac 501's, Bryston 7B-SST and ended up with cj prem 350. The cj prem 350 sounded closer to my old tube monoblocks in the upper mids and treble, are nice and controlled in the bass and dynamically and harmonically lust are fun to listen to. They are less then VTL 450's, so if SS can co-exist in your system try to demo them. I think you maybe suprised.

cheers