What would you choose for about $1k, ZU DW, SVS Ultra bookshelf or Tekton Lore?

I need your help upgrading from my first system (NAD with B&W 602’) to my next system, that I hope will last me for the next 10 years. My budget for speakers is just over $1200. I have narrowed it down to either the SVS Ultra bookshelf, the Tekton Lore or Zu’ upcoming DW Omen special ( should I include Magnipan .7’?) -which of these three-four would you select and why? I am running a Schiit Vidar with Schiit Saga preamp. I love all kinds of music, my music room is about 12 feet by 24 by 12 feet. My main mission is for high quality stereo sound at a reasonable price -that will be a good improvement on my current B&W 602 setup. Thank you! 
nietzsche007

Showing 8 responses by nietzsche007

I do have a pair of Elac b6’ in my Dolby 5.1 setup. Although good, I don’t find them to be a great improvement over my old B&W 602’. 
Yes the limitation is rather artificial. I am open to other suggestions and will research these. My difficulty is that a. I have a limited time to pull the trigger (or not) on the Zu DW sale ending next month and b. I have to purchase without actually being able to first audition. My research has led me to the aforementioned 3/4 options.
Thanks drumsgreg, I will reasearch these also.  For most of us here (in Canada), we are simply unable to demo these products first -and so we have to purchase sight unseen. Thus, recommendations and research is all that we can rely on. Thanks for the tip!
Damn, been reading up on the Vandersteen 1Ci speakers for the last hour and now adding it to the short list. I will phone Tekton on Monday to ask some questions. Thanks for all the input thus far!
Thank you all -specifically you who have clearly taken some time to respond here--I am actually a little blown away by this user group (my first visit here). I have an e-mail into Eric at Tekton and may even call in a little later today. I am going to try and audition the Vandersteen (which, thanks to info from gdnrbob, I understand may be closer to my location). I am also reading up on all the other mentioned suggestions-thanks again.  Anyone have thoughts re the SVS Ultra bookshelf-these seem to be getting excellent user reviews. I am amazed by the small number of actual user info on youtube regarding Zu, Tekton and other suggestions.  I will report findings soon.    
My decision. Given your input -- you deserve to know where I am landing and why. First, permit me this preamble:

1. If you live in the USA, the you really need to appreciate the wonderful range of practical options available to you. For example, even though we have a "dealer" in Toronto, they have no Vandersteen' in stock, to audition. 
2. For newbies, buy the best gear you can afford at your stage of life. As a young man the cost felt like a fortune. However, even after 14+ years of ownership my B&W 602' + NAD Amp/CD still provide great joy, (I am actually looking for a second clean set of B&W 602'). 
3. I have little doubt that Tekton make great speakers. The customer service is however really lacking. As mentioned in other posts, their lack of communication is disconcerting. I have had no replies regarding my inquiries. (This becomes a problem when you have to ship product across boarder). 
4. High on my future wishlist are the Totem products (and I hope to be able to audition the other recommendations also). 

I decided to go with Zu.

Why?
1. They have answered every one of my phone calls and e-mails and they are trying to work with me on shipping (which will be half of my cost).
2. The $999 OMEN DIRTY WEEKEND [MK.II]  makes for excellent value. They are actually using new drivers (not recycled, as the have "run out of recycled drivers"). My research leads me to believe that the retail cost of the drivers and internal components alone are ~$500 (this in contrast to the well regarded SVS Ulta, which I believe only has about ~$200 worth of internal components). I understand (and expect) the cabinet workmanship to be world-class (I am opting for the "electric blue" cabinet).
3. Being unable to first review, mine is indeed a calculated risk., as well as a test of the reliability (Steve Guttenberg!).  Wish me luck! I will report my findings. Thanks!  

Thanks Whoopycat! Having 18 kids (before we freak out here--none are biological to us :-) --one tends to become value conscious and I am thinking that my new combo may be one of the best value propositions..  (Schiit Vidar / Saga $1050 + Zu DW $999 = $2049 sans shipping & tax). 

I was tempted by a pair of B&W CDM NT9' -on sale here now for ~$1200.  Also, keeping my old B&W'.    
Great comments  -specifically appreciate the comments from Zu owners-thanks!

Pure curiosity and tempted by recent raving reviews regarding it's musicality -I also purchased the little Vista Spark amp. In addition to my Schiit Vidar--I plan to try the Spark on the Zu' (I will pass it on to one of my kids if it turns out to just be a toy ;-)  On paper and in a smaller room the Spark should match the Zu DW' 12-ohm impedance. (This may be another great deal as a value proposition, i.e. the Zu DW at $999 + Vista Spark at $350 for a total = $1350). Although the Zu' guys may start to frown on their products being paired with "value" amps..  :-)  I will report my findings on this combo as well as with the Vidar/Saga.

To confirm --I really-really like the detail coming out of my new Schiit Vidar / Saga combo (running now on my B&W' and also trying them on my Elac B6' -and soon on the Zu'). If you are looking for an affordable A/B amp, look at the Schiit' Vidar (I can easily see the benefits of running two Vidar' through their Freya pre--and I could be tempted to go this route down the line). Good weekend to you!